How early can you tell a Black Swedish drake?

AGia13

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
Hello! I rescued a little black Swedish duckling that was dumped at the local duck pond. He was about a week old when I found him, he is now almost four weeks.

I have two blue Swedish that live with my chickens. I’m really hoping this one is a female. He/she is starting to get feathers. The wings have a tint of green, the feet black and bill black too. I’m starting to see little hints of green on its head, but it still has mostly down.

I’m wondering if anyone knows how early the green head comes in on the drakes?

Thank you so much. I’ve attached a picture of what he or she looks like.
IMG_1762.jpeg

just have to ask; are your other 2 ducks females?
( drakes can accidentally injure and/or kill chicken hens when they mount them. )
I honestly think four weeks is early to tell anything about duckling sex when they are closer to eight weeks you may be able to start to tell by the quack sound ,,the females have a nice loud quack the males have a raspy sort of”kreeek” sound

just have to ask; are your other 2 ducks females?
( drakes can accidentally injure and/or kill chicken hens when they mount them. )
I honestly think four weeks is early to tell anything about duckling sex when they are closer to eight weeks you may be able to start to tell by the quack sound ,,the females have a nice loud quack the males have a raspy sort of”kreeek” sound
Thank you! Yea, my other two are females, so I’ll have to find him another home if it is a male. I’m really hoping it’s a female. I’ve grown quite fond of he or she.

My female ducks live with my chickens so I definitely won’t be able to keep him sadly. I’m just glad I found him when I did. I was told that there were two ducklings dumped on the local duck pond. By the time I got down there, only one had survived. I felt awful for him. Praying he or she is a female so she can stay with me and not have to move around again.

Hello! I rescued a little black Swedish duckling that was dumped at the local duck pond. He was about a week old when I found him, he is now almost four weeks.

I have two blue Swedish that live with my chickens. I’m really hoping this one is a female. He/she is starting to get feathers. The wings have a tint of green, the feet black and bill black too. I’m starting to see little hints of green on its head, but it still has mostly down.

I’m wondering if anyone knows how early the green head comes in on the drakes?

Thank you so much. I’ve attached a picture of what he or she looks like.View attachment 3649623
I have two female blacks and they both have green heads. The tell tale for us was the quack. My swedish ducks started quacking at a younger age than our female pekin.

Back
Top Bottom