Female or male?

Garciaaxen

Chirping
Nov 20, 2023
Ok hello everyone, I am a mother to a Rouen(drake, atleast I thought) & 2 khaki campbells(hens). I’ve had my Rouen since he was a baby & he hatched 11/6. At first I noticed his head was turning a tint greenish but now when I look at him I may think that he is a she now. I see no green & I feel as tho he has more of the female color than the typical Rouen male. What do you guys think? If he ends up being a she then I may need to consider looking into finding an actual drake for it & my other hens lol. Picture of his head was a couple weeks ago, picture of him swimming was a couple days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2602.png
    IMG_2602.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2601.png
    IMG_2601.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
It sure looks like a drake to me. Does it quack? If so, she is a she. If it still peeps or sounds hoarse, he is most likely a drake. All male ducks start out colored similar to females but there are some subtle differences like the green you mentioned and others. The voice is the most definitive way to tell.

It sure looks like a drake to me. Does it quack? If so, she is a she. If it still peeps or sounds hoarse, he is most likely a drake. All male ducks start out colored similar to females but there are some subtle differences like the green you mentioned and others. The voice is the most definitive way to tell.
Before his mate died who was also Rouen I could definitely tell she was female, her quacks were very much quackinsh & he made little peep whistle noises, so that made it easy to tell he was male. They both were very yappy talkative ducks but since I have gotten him the female khakis(which are a couple weeks younger than him, their quack may be not “quakish” yet) I barely hear him make any noises, atleast when I’m around. The more I look at him everyday the more I observe his changes & I just haven’t been noticing that greenish color anymore, so that’s why I’ve been second guessing his gender.

Ok hello everyone, I am a mother to a Rouen(drake, atleast I thought) & 2 khaki campbells(hens). I’ve had my Rouen since he was a baby & he hatched 11/6. At first I noticed his head was turning a tint greenish but now when I look at him I may think that he is a she now. I see no green & I feel as tho he has more of the female color than the typical Rouen male. What do you guys think? If he ends up being a she then I may need to consider looking into finding an actual drake for it & my other hens lol. Picture of his head was a couple weeks ago, picture of him swimming was a couple days ago.
Try rubbing its private area a bit! This sounds weird, but the reproductive organs of male ducks mature faster than their female counterparts. If your chick reacts significantly and/or any liquid comes out, its a boy! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom