Blue swedish x pekin color

Musolff2015

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
I'm just curious if anyone knows if a blue swedish crossed with a pekin can still come out as black swedish.

Long story short, I have a silver appleyard, cayuga and 2 blue swedish hens and then a black swedish drake and pekin drake. As expected the vast majority of offspring came out with black swedish coloring. My black swedish ended up being killed by a fox and I read that a duck can continue laying eggs fertilized by that male for up to a month. I have continued hatching all of the eggs and know for sure his genetics remained at least 3 weeks as i still had my silver appleyards eggs coming out as swedish. That being said, it has been over the time period that his genetics should have been able to remain and im still getting a large number of black swedish. With both blue and white being recessive and blue over white I assumed I'd have more blue. Im happy with healthy ducklings regaurdless, I'm just curious. Duck gentics confuse me and I'm still trying to grasp it

as i still had my silver appleyards eggs coming out as swedish.

Not necessarily true. Many pekins have extended black alleles. If yours does, that means that every single appleyard x peking in your flock would have the coloring of a black swedish.

If we assume that your ducks are purebred, and that your pekin drake is black bibbed under his white, here are the ducklings you can expect

pekin drake, appleyard duck: 100% black bibbed.
pekin drake, cayuga duck: 100% black bibbed
pekin drake, blue swedish ducks: 50% black bibbed, 50% blue bibbed

As you can see, black bibbed ducks are very common among mixes. You will have to use other characteristics, such as size and shape, to figure out the parentage of your ducklings. If your pekin has been mating exclusively with your ducks for three weeks then you can be almost certain that all of the ducklings are his. The tiny amount of viable semen from your swedish drake was diluted to almost nothing long ago.

Not necessarily true. Many pekins have extended black alleles. If yours does, that means that every single appleyard x peking in your flock would have the coloring of a black swedish.

If we assume that your ducks are purebred, and that your pekin drake is black bibbed under his white, here are the ducklings you can expect

pekin drake, appleyard duck: 100% black bibbed.
pekin drake, cayuga duck: 100% black bibbed
pekin drake, blue swedish ducks: 50% black bibbed, 50% blue bibbed

As you can see, black bibbed ducks are very common among mixes. You will have to use other characteristics, such as size and shape, to figure out the parentage of your ducklings. If your pekin has been mating exclusively with your ducks for three weeks then you can be almost certain that all of the ducklings are his. The tiny amount of viable semen from your swedish drake was diluted to almost nothing long ago.

Thank you. Im assuming my pekin does not have the black under his white as you said I'd have 0% chance of getting a silver appleyard and i have had a few. Im not at home to see a specific total, but I believe, to date, I've had 42 give or take a few hatch. Of those Ive had 6 silver appleyard, 5 blue swedish with the remainder of them all showing the traditional black swedish coloring. My Cayuga doesn't take crap when it comes to being mated so I've only had like 4 of 30+ of hers develop and hatch, hers come out like a black swedish but lack the tiny eye mark so I'm really curious if they will take on her vibrancy. She is white bibbed making it hard to know the difference between the 2 until adult feathers come in.

I currently have 38 hatching/incubating laid past the very latest date my black swedish genetics had a slight rare chance of fertilizing. With that 1 month being absolute max, I'm near certain these are all fathered by my pekin, yet the 2 hatch and 3 I can see the bill of (mid hatch) all appear like black swedish, all but 1 of those 5 were laid by blue swedish.

Your pekin could be heterozygous for black, meaning that about half of his offspring would have the swedish coloration, and the other half would be something else. It is also possible that some of your other ducks are homozygous instead of being pure.

If we assume that your pekin doens't carry any black alleles at all he will still make black/blue bibbed duckling when mated with your blue swedish.

If we assume that he is completely wild type under his white (meaning that he would look like a mallard or rouen) then here is what he would produce:

peking drake, appleyard duck: 100% appleyard coloration
pekin drake, cayuga duck: 100% self black
pekin drake, blue swedish ducks: 50% black bibbed, 50% blue bibbed.

I'm just curious if anyone knows if a blue swedish crossed with a pekin can still come out as black swedish.

Well, they can't come out as purebred Swedish, since they're a mixed breed. But they can come out the same color as a black Swedish, which is black bibbed :)

Your pekin could be heterozygous for black, meaning that about half of his offspring would have the swedish coloration, and the other half would be something else. It is also possible that some of your other ducks are homozygous instead of being pure.

If we assume that your pekin doens't carry any black alleles at all he will still make black/blue bibbed duckling when mated with your blue swedish.

If we assume that he is completely wild type under his white (meaning that he would look like a mallard or rouen) then here is what he would produce:

peking drake, appleyard duck: 100% appleyard coloration
pekin drake, cayuga duck: 100% self black
pekin drake, blue swedish ducks: 50% black bibbed, 50% blue bibbed.
Thank you! I'm kind of leaning towards that being the likely as all the eggs hatched from eggs laid while my swedish was alive only 1 came out with silver appleyard traits. And actually, before he started feathering I thought the rouen gene was carried over because he had the eye stripes you'd usually see with a rouen duckling. Now that he's almost fully into his teenage feathers, he definetly has appleyard coloring aside from the more distinct eye stripes.

The most recent batches hatched, where the pekin was the most likely father, most of my silver appleyards eggs came out with her coloring.

As far as pure, I have no clue if any were. Obviously the ones I've hatched are all mixed with the possibility of pure swedish giving 1 or both of my blues are pure and my black was pure, but no guarantee on back genetics or who fathered which. My 1st 4 were won and the 4 females I purchased were from someome who kind of swaps livestock and he didn't even know what a silver appleyard was when i told him I wanted her haha

Well, they can't come out as purebred Swedish, since they're a mixed breed. But they can come out the same color as a black Swedish, which is black bibbed :)
For sure! I am selling them as mixed because even if my blue and black swedes were/are pure, I have no knowing if the pekin didn't father any

I know this thread is months old, but I have a pekin and blue swedish cross drake. He throws 'pure looking' blue black and splash ducks with his full blue swedish gals, even though the ducklings are 1/4 pekin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210404-185836.png
    Screenshot_20210404-185836.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20210404-190118.png
    Screenshot_20210404-190118.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom