Blue Wheaten Ameraucana Gender

Thank you! I am relieved that something is going right in my chicken world. I would have liked one roo but can always get one later. I bought 6 rare breed pullets from a breeder and one arrived with a snotty nose and now three of them have it. They are still in quarantine and we've had them for 3 weeks as of last Friday. They have been on probiotics, electrolytes, ACV, and now this week VetRx and most recently a vit/min supplement and garlic. They are all acting fine, eating and drinking, just the clear discharge. All of our juveniles and the "babies" (6&7 weeks) from backyard breeders are healthy and vigorous, but these from the big breeder are not. Not sure if it was the stress of travel day or what.

I would love to see pics of the new ones you got!

Okay, I am finally getting around to posting some pics of our littles. Currently, 2 of them are 6 weeks old and 2 are 7 weeks old. The pictures have been taken in the last week or so. Let me know what you think... Admittedly, chickens are incredibly difficult to photograph, so these aren't ideal. If these don't show what needs to be seen to identify gender please let me know and I can take more tomorrow, thankfully they are pretty tolerant models. Also, they all had beards at hatch, they are just dirty from their fermented feed.

The first 2 are Puffball at 6 weeks (today)

This is Cheesecake today (6 wks)

This is Gray at 6 weeks (last week)

I think this is Yellow, taken today at 7 weeks and it looks like both Puff and Yellow have yellowish legs. My camera battery died at this point so I didn't get a side view of Yellow.

Here are some top views of all of them together plus their 2 Wellie pullet brooder mates...these were taken about a week ago when they were 5 and 6 weeks old. Left to right, Puff, Yellow, Gray, and Cheesecake. The breeder thought that I may have 2 BW and 2 Wheaten at hatch based on 2 being more yellow and 2 being more white. Within a couple of weeks it seemed like I may have 3 BW and 1 Wheaten, with the Wheaten being Puffball. If that's the case maybe she's a she based on some other photos I've seen

Any input welcome!! I am just not seeing drastic differences in them so I'm afraid they could all be roos - but hey, maybe they're all pullets! Here's hoping! We love them all!
TIA!!

They all look like pullets to me also. I agree two have yellow legs and they aren't going to change. The birds also appear to have small beards and muffs, and the first photo the bird appears to have a single comb. I would go out on a limb and say they have been crossed with something and are ee's. Who did you get them from? (you can pm me if you care to answer.)

Hi Jean, glad you chimed in here. I met you at the Monroe show in March. You know this breeder well as he is one of only two I think who had the LF Ams at the show. I can pm you his name but I think you will know who I mean. They are most certainly not EE. They did/do have beards and muffs - I selected the ones with the largest which he thought had 2 copies of the gene (hope I'm stating that right). They are matted down a bit from their wet feed. It's weird, the Wellies in with them don't make a mess of themselves, but the Ams do.
Very happy to hear the pullet consensus! Thanks!

I would love to see pics of the new ones you got! 

Here are my 2 new girls. Both will be blue egg layers.

Black sex link:

Blue sex link:

Pretty girls! They look very close to Ams at least and if they are pullets that lay blue eggs that is great! The blue one is gorgeous.

Thanks! They are barred holland crossed to a black and a blue ameraucana. Honestly, I kind of wish I would have gotten 2 of the blues, instead of 1 of each. The black is pretty though. Her feathers almost look iridescent when the sun hits them.

Back
Top Bottom