BO changes, close to POL (blog style) [updated - first egg]

shaggy

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Orange, Texas
Currently have 2 Buff Orpington hens are a little over 20 weeks old .... just started seeing a few changes and wanted to chronicle them here

mainly i am looking at comb size and color, waddle size and color, and the color of the facial skin.

it might help when others are asking what to look for when their BO's are getting ready to lay.

#1 Ming-Ming --- Buttercups face and comb was this same color about 5 days ago when i started noticing the initial changes in Buttercup (comb growth and facial skin color)

30962_0923091819.jpg

#2 Buttercup --- same age and size as Ming-Ming but Buttercup appears to be maturing a little faster

30962_0923091818.jpg

I will get a closeup of each one every week until they 1 of them lays

-- enjoy

Last edited:
Week 21

MingMing

not many changes on Ming-Ming --- facial skin and comb color is actually paler

30962_mingming_21.jpg

Buttercup

Buttercups comb looks taller - probably grew some --- facial skin is not as red ... but the comb looks a little more pink

30962_buttercup_21.jpg

Quote:
smile.png

thanks ... i think time of day has a little to do with their color ... the 2nd set of pictures was taken about an hour or 2 later than the first set .... and the days are a little shorter ....

not sure yet ... but it gives me something else to look at

thanks!
I have one BO and her combs,wattles look so pale compared to the BAs, now I know what to look for in her maturing.
Keep those pix coming!!

it got dark outside before i realized that i only got one good photo --- this is Buttercup --- can't tell from this angle but her comb is just slightly thicker than last week --- and her facial skin, and comb are roughly the same color as last week

-- edit #2 --
yeah ... 22 weeks ...

30962_1007091738.jpg

Last edited:
i'm subscribing to this.... my birds are about 3-5 weeks behind yours so this is very helpful. We have 12 pullets though. We have a few that look like ming ming but most are real red etc like buttercup. Thanks for doing this!!!!! soooooooo helpful!

Quote:
it is therapeutic for me .... keeps me from being impatient and making a ton of "why isn't my chicken laying eggs" posts

as these are my first chickens meant for laying eggs i am not exactly sure what i am looking for

maybe i am looking at the wrong features ... but so far there have not been any "experts" showing up to tell me that i am looking at the wrong features

My BO, Puddin' is the same age and her comb and wattles look to be at the same point of development as Buttercup and Ming-Mings. I'm glad you're documenting this - very helpful.

Race you to the first egg!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom