BO laying questions please read

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ksct, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    Thrusday I witnessed my BO roo.... ahem..... do the deed with a hen. It was AWFUL! lol I'm thinking it was one of the first times ever (they're all going to be 20 weeks on Thursday) and as soon as it was over, it was like nothing had ever happened. lol
    My girls vary in color of comb and waddle color and sizes. And haven't begun to lay yet..... however one question i have is if he's doing his thing..... can that 'speed' it up or will it not matter to them?

Also, i've read on here about an 'egg song'...... is that a figure of speech or do they do something different like 'talking' more etc before they lay? I was out with them most of the day saturday and they were 'talking' more and just over all sounded differently then they have since we got them.

Maybe i'm just getting anxious, but I still check everyday for eggs..... not necessarily in the nest boxes, just in case they lay elsewhere. [​IMG]

AND i think my rooster crows just to hear himself..... I have a dog that likes to hear himself bark and a roo that likes to hear himself crow.... ALL DAY. lol he's funny

2. kikster

kikster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
  3. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Quote:Yep. And mine too. Seems like when one starts singing, they all start singing. Even our rooster. lol

4. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    My 2 BO pullets layed at 21 and 24 weeks. You should be getting close!

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:No, you don't even have to have a roo to produce eggs, just fertile eggs. Around 22to 24 wks. is about when most production type layers start. The BO's may take a couple weeks longer as they mature a bit slower. Prob. around 28to30wks. is about normal for this breed.

6. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    OMG I heard the 'bagok' from at least one hen on Sunday!!!!!!! I was trying to figure out how to describe it on here. That video was SOOOO helpful!!!!! I hope that means we'll get some eggs soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by