BO pullet not feeling well?

CLeber719

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2020
Hey everyone! I have a buff orpington pullet that is just not feeling well. Shes having diarrhea/ really stinky green poops, laying down a lot and just not being herself. Shes also limping a little on one foot but stands just fine. I put her in quarantine last night and she's been eating and drinking but is still having these behaviors. I thought maybe shes egg bound but nothing can be palpated and we put her in a warm bath last night as a precaution with no changes in her behavior. Now with her stinky poops, I'm thinking maybe shes broody? But she isn't displaying any other broody signs (not pecking when you pick her up, laying flat if moved, making that ticking noise or trying to get into the nesting boxes). I still have her quarantined where she can see and hear the other chickens and today shes clucking at them and standing for longer periods, but I'm stuck. Any idea or advice?

Attachments

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Has she been staying in a nest box? Dark green poops can be a sign of not eating. She looks like her tail position is down. That could be a sign of a reproductive infection, or egg binding. Can you insert a clean or gloved finger inside her vent 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg or obstruction? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have you wormed her recently?

CLeber719

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2020
Has she been staying in a nest box? Dark green poops can be a sign of not eating. She looks like her tail position is down. That could be a sign of a reproductive infection, or egg binding. Can you insert a clean or gloved finger inside her vent 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg or obstruction? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have you wormed her recently?
She wasn't in the boxes, just laying on the ground near the coop. I checked her for an egg, with nothing found. She seems to be interested in eating and ate a scrambled egg this afternoon. She is standing/clucking at the other chickens again which makes me feel a bit better about it. But I'm not sure if she was vaccinated for Mareks. She was a chick that was brought to us from TSC and I don't know if they vaccinate. I've never wormed her (I'm super new to Chicken life) Can you get wormer from the local farm store? Would AVC in water flush her of worms?

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom