Boar hog

Judy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
Does anyone eat them? Does an 80 lb. boar hog taste decent? Are there ways to make it taste better?

At 80 pounds for a regular pig is really small. Castrate him and feed him for a bit and you will be a lot happier.

I am not sure at what age they produce enough hormones to taste in the meat but for a non potbelly pig 80 pounds should be too young to matter.

I have heard about how bad boar meat is, but we butchered one at about 350 pounds and he was delicious. We meant to castrate him but didn't get around to it. BTW, an 80 pound pig is BBQ size, and even then 90 to 100 pounds is more common. Standard butcher weight is about 200 to 250 pounds. I am assuming standard size pigs here. Not mini pigs.

Thanks for your replies. All I know is that it was a wild boar that someone shot and gave my son a few days ago. They butchered and rested it, and are barbecuing it tonight. So far it does not have a bad smell. I'll post here later after they try it.

The meat was quite mild and tender. No male hog taste or smell at all. Very lean. They will be pulling a bunch of it to make BBQ sandwiches.

Mmmm send me a BBQ sandwich!
tongue.png

"They Say" if the boar was shot without becoming hot and bothered, and then castrated immediately, the meat will be good. I have had wild boar that was wonderful, and some that I couldn't eat. Glad yours turned out!

Back
Top Bottom