Board and train dog training

yep I too wanted to do the boarding dog day care etc.but as the second poster commented;you need a license and you have to meet the zoning requirements for your area.Make sure clients dogs give varification of vaccinations.Remember that training then needs to be transitioned over to the owner of the dog,they need to be trained and realize it is really easy to untrain the dog.Most folks I run into really do not want to pay and do not want to really put in the effort.They think when they send them to you to be trained that is the end of the training.But as we all know the handler needs to be trained too.Most folks want to see your credentials and demo dogs of your own are perfect tools as well,I had runs and kennels built then found that in my area I needed to have 15acres to run that type of business,Did some in house pet care for the neighbors but as the poster pointed out you need insurance,a vet handy and some type of release to transport the dog in your vechicle as well,

It really depends on how large an operation you run. I know lots of trainers that do board and train out of their home for one or two dogs at a time. Yeah, if you want a kennel building etc you have to have all the red tape, but small scale you dont. I'd be doing a combo - the dogs would go to the facility with me and come home to sleep here. Crates, not kennel runs.
I dont do verification of vaccines, thats up to the owner to do what they feel is best for their pets. I personally do not vaccinate. Unvacc'd animals are not a risk to vaccd animals, so if you are worried vax your pet, but mine arent going to give yours cooties.
I'm well aware of the business end of things as far as liability, etc. I owned a very successful professional pet sitting company for ten years, that was well enough run that I actually managed to sell it when we moved (selling a service biz is very tough since there are no tangible assets). I have been in the pet industry for 20+ yrs and have plenty of people who will gladly refer to me, so I feel like I have a good base for getting clientele. I do need to work on my demo dogs though, I've been lazy, LOL!

Yeah, Every state/town is different...
They just started here in my town that if i have more than 4 dogs staying at my property, i have to have a kennel license.. :rolleyes:
Just another way for them to make more money... :/

Yeah, Every state/town is different...
They just started here in my town that if i have more than 4 dogs staying at my property, i have to have a kennel license..
roll.png

Just another way for them to make more money...
hmm.png

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes kennel licenses cost less than multiple individual ones. But, the laws may change. For example, in Columbus Ohio where I used to live, there is no limit on number of dogs, but if you have more than four you MAY get a kennel license. It's cheap, so people with multiple dogs will do that to save some bucks. BUT, kennel licenses mean your property has to conform to kennel requirements, meaning certain types of enclosures, drainage, so far away from other houses etc, and that your property can be inspected to make sure of it. You can own 40 dogs, license individually and there will eb no problem though, as long as you keep them from bothering the neighbors.

Hey Watchdog,
I had a training business for many years. I have experience with: working in a large kennel setting training many dogs a day, traveling to the owners' homes and training the dog daily, and in-home board and train. While each of these approaches had good results, by far my favorite was the in-home training, and I based my business on this format for about ten years. In each case, the owners get a series of lessons to learn how to handle their dog, with unlimited follow-up consultations.

You are welcome to pm me for details....

Congratulations on your new business venture! We need more good trainers to help pet owners find harmony with their dogs.
-------------------
www.madcap.name
One puppy still available to a special companion or agility/obedience home!

Hey Watchdog,
I had a training business for many years. I have experience with: working in a large kennel setting training many dogs a day, traveling to the owners' homes and training the dog daily, and in-home board and train. While each of these approaches had good results, by far my favorite was the in-home training, and I based my business on this format for about ten years. In each case, the owners get a series of lessons to learn how to handle their dog, with unlimited follow-up consultations.
You are welcome to pm me for details....
Congratulations on your new business venture! We need more good trainers to help pet owners find harmony with their dogs. www.madcap.name
One puppy still available to a special companion or agility/obedience home!

I totally agree with you, and that's what I used to do. But, there is a market for the drop-off training, and not very many positive trainers doing it, so I'm going to go for that. I network with several trainers who have lamented on the lack of this option. I would really prefer the day training, vs overnight boarding, and I was planning on giving lessons as we progress.

Oh yeah, i'd surely pay to have someone come to ME for the training..
But i'm lazy like that.. :lol:

Any name suggestions? I want to go with a school theme, so the word School or Academy is good. I dont want tough nor wussy sounding, and Canine is fine, but not K9..ideas?

Back
Top Bottom