Board and train dog training

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by watchdogps, Jan 23, 2012.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I am opening a training school, and while I am not generally in favor of leaving dogs to be trained, there IS a need for the service. So, I am researching it, and was wondering if any of you knew how much a program like that might be and how long or what was included. Of course, region will make a difference, but I'd still like to get some ballpark ideas of pricing so I have a baseline.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Cool! Good luck!
    I'd say liability insurance would be a very important thing to have...
    As for prices.. maybe call around to all your local or semi/local trainer places in your area AND also dog boarding places... and make your price somewhere in the middle area?..
    YOu'd need a good vet always on call, and always have the money/credit line/or vet agreement available to rush said dog to vet for urgent care. (until the owner can get there)
    You'd need kennels, comfortable housing with temperature control. So the dogs dont get too hot or too cold in the winter time..(i'm assuming they wont be living IN your house with you with all your other pets dogs too...)
    Then the basic stuff for dog care..

I really have no idea.. :lol: Just some ideas...

ETA: Also may need a kennel license/business license... annnd let your house insurance know and see what they require of you..

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    The problem is that the schools generally dont want to tell you over the phone, they want you to come in for a consult. Thats why I'm hoping others have actually used or gotten this info.

4. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    A place near me with a very good local trainer charges 800 for 3 weeks in house training. Does that help?

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

Well here for "regular" dog training, you bring the dog to them for an hour each week for like 6-8 weeks, its like $200 for the "course"...
    I had a dog behavorist look at an adult dog(rescue) that i took in before too, she charged like $75 for the hour.. (if i am remembering correctly)
    No experience in boarding training.. sorry.. :(

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    there is a place in Cininnati (since I know you are in OH) that was charging $5300 for a 3 week board&train.

Most prices I've seen quoted are in the $2000 range for 3-4 weeks. That is basic obedience - come, sit, heel, stay on leash. Off-leash training is 6 weeks and I don't know a price. I would guess $5000+

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

Whooooo Hoo! Thats some good money there, Watchdogs... :thumbsup :ya

8. watchdogps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio

Yeah, unfortunately, I wont be getting that much! The area I am in won't support that pricing. I still have to convince hubby about the actual board and train. If I do that, I can market to a few bigger (read: higher dollar) cities near enough to me. I know I can offer doggie day school, where they drop off and pickup each day, like daycare but training instead.

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think its an excellent idea! I always wanted to do animal grooming and open up a little business in a little building on my property..
    Another dream gone down the drain... :/ *sigh*

10. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    yep I too wanted to do the boarding dog day care etc.but as the second poster commented;you need a license and you have to meet the zoning requirements for your area.Make sure clients dogs give varification of vaccinations.Remember that training then needs to be transitioned over to the owner of the dog,they need to be trained and realize it is really easy to untrain the dog.Most folks I run into really do not want to pay and do not want to really put in the effort.They think when they send them to you to be trained that is the end of the training.But as we all know the handler needs to be trained too.Most folks want to see your credentials and demo dogs of your own are perfect tools as well,I had runs and kennels built then found that in my area I needed to have 15acres to run that type of business,Did some in house pet care for the neighbors but as the poster pointed out you need insurance,a vet handy and some type of release to transport the dog in your vechicle as well,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by