Boat Chicken Ahoy!

Just another thought about greens... If you can get wheat seed at one of your stops, you might want to setup a really small fodder system. You'll want to grow just enough for her daily ration... There's lots of info on youtube about how much to feed and how to setup a system.

Hi BYC friends! My name is Katie and I am so thankful this forum exists, it helped me answer many questions and calmed my anxieties after I became an unexpected chick mom in May 2017.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Brand new to chickens. My first chicken is Gertrude, we found her abandoned at our favorite local bar in the Caribbean when she was one day old. I brought her back home to our sailboat and asked my boyfriend if we could keep her. He said if the chick ends up being a hen that I could keep her. 11 weeks in, no crowing yet!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I enjoy sailing, traveling, cooking, fermenting, dehydrating, reading, and listening to podcasts.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live on a sailboat full time with my boyfriend and our goal is to sail around the world. We are currently located in the Caribbean.
Welcome, welcome @Boat Chick. I do believe you win the prize for most unusual place for a chicken to live! If you ferment you've already got a great food source for your chicken. Check out @lazy gardener, she is a big fermenter. I hope you keep us updated on Gertrude, her life will be soooo incredibly different then our chickens' lives. :pop

Do you have a blog? That's super unique to have a boat chicken, I hope it continues to go well for you. I follow several blogs of nomads, as my husband isn't adventurous enough to be anything but a stay-put landlubber in the state he was born in. I gots to live vicariously through other travelers.

Have you seen Moana? I just saw it the other week, and it was the first thing I thought of, seeing Gertrude on the boat. LOL

Welcome to BYC!

Thank you so much! We actually just saw Moana a couple weeks ago and loved it. Gertrude seems to be taking to boat life pretty well and doesn't freak out like Hei Hei does when she sees water haha.

We have a blog that we haven't updated in awhile: www.whereistortuga.com

I'm more active updating our Instagram: whereistortuga

Just another thought about greens... If you can get wheat seed at one of your stops, you might want to setup a really small fodder system. You'll want to grow just enough for her daily ration... There's lots of info on youtube about how much to feed and how to setup a system.

Great idea! We have sprouting trays, and I completely forgot that we could grow some fodder for her! Thank you for all of the suggestions!!!

Back
Top Bottom