Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be a number of factors, perhaps that particular line of that breed has that problem, or weaker intestinal tracts. Lacy Blues is correc tin that will help. You could also do some baby chick grit or sand to help with the problem.

From Canadian Poultry Magazine:

The Beginner's A.B.C.January 1929
•Always interest yourself in your stock.
•Breed always from the best of stock.
•Careful attention commands success.
•Dirt is the most virulent conveyance of disease.
•Eggs should be removed from the nest as often as convenient.
•Fresh water is compulsory.
•Good frit, flint and oyster shells should never be absent.
•Hatch no more than your ground will carry – save chance of loss.
•Insides of houses, etc., must be kept spotless.
•Join and support the associations that are working for the betterment of the
industry.
•Keep well up in poultry matters – read the Canada Poultryman.
•Look out for the first signs of disease – a stitch in time saves ninety-nine.
•Make a spare pen; it's bound to come in handy for hospital, new purchases or
training.
•Nests must be roomy, comfortable and clean.
•Overfeeding is the cause of many disappointments, such as scarcity of eggs,
etc.
•Perches should be movable so that they may be often and easily cleaned.
•Query columns of Canada Poultryman are a mine of information.
•Raise chickens only from the best stock.
•Successful poultry-keeping is the result of careful study.
•Turn every useless fowl into cash, or it will quickly eat your profit.
•Utility points must be maintained by pedigree record-nest strains.
•Vegetables and green stuff are a necessity.
•Water and waterpots must be fresh.
•X's should be cut down as much as possible.
•Years and seasons are not all alike – do not expect the same success every
time.
•Zeal – and plenty of it.

Hi,
I have looking all over for another breed which is eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co. I can't find one. I was just sure there was another breed whose breeding advice I could study, sigh. Other colors exist in more than one breed. But apparently this isn't one of them. If anyone knows otherwise, I sure would appreciate a heads up.
Thanks,
Karen
Yes, I know Columbian Marans have the same Genotype. However, they were created when Lynnrae brought a Light Sussex hendown from Canada and bred it into her French Marans. That was circa 6 years ago. They are nice and have a ways to go yet. Quite clever of Lynnrae, however, not helpful for me. Seeking a breed which currently breeds true over time.

Last edited:
I am getting some Faverolles in June!
smile.png
And they aren't hatchery stock!!!
yesss.gif

Got a lead from BGMatt (thanks Matt!) regarding Buff Rocks....Larry Urban in WA

I had a very enjoyable albeit brief conversation with Larry this evening whilst watching my birds graze...many years of experience and really knows the show circuit etc. he is working with some Buff Rock stock...said he had worked with them for over 25 years then made a regrettable error by selling off his Buff stock..said he figured he could get a few back from his line at some point, if desired. Unfortunately,he ended up starting a Buff Rock project up almost 'from scratch' a few years ago...he said he's got a good typed but 'splotchy' buff male he grew out and about 6 pullets/hens he's working with...got some incubating now...he still needs to hatch for himself but generously told me to call back in a few weeks to see how the hatch went etc. He said "you're not gonna like this, but in order to correct color I infused some Buff Wyandotte into this project'...I told him I understood and honestly IMHO could not think of any other way to get the color right on the Buff Rocks without a bit of outcrossing either. He's got Wyandottes (buff, mostly white and SL)...and a black Leghorn project that is "coming along real well"...has many game fowl too. He shared a few show stories with me...one included Harrington and his White Rocks...he said Harrington really knew how to condition big time. Being a 'newbie' it was truly thrilling to speak to a long time breeder/exhibitor. He told me about a few breeders in my area (he's seen their birds at shows the past few years) and that Tucson actually has a decent/worthy annual show too. A really nice guy.
I look forward to speaking with him again in a few weeks...fingers crossed I can get some Buffs by Fall...heck I may try a few black leghorns too.
big_smile.png

Cindy

Hi all, I kind of lurk on this thread, as your conversations are very interesting, and I learn a lot. I'm going off-current-subjects here to ask a heated question.

First background: I'm new to chickens though I've wanted to raise them since I was 18 years old, over 30 years ago! I just started recently, and I tried a few birds, and it turns out, the ones I got on a fluke turned out to be my favorite, Crevecoeurs. Now my little girl, she lays an egg almost every day, and is adorable. My boy is such a sweetheart, though he has challenged my husband and my son once each, he hasn't again (after being rebuffed) So, I've found that this was the breed I want to work with eventually.

So my question is, is there a point to breeding to the SOP for this bird? It was never really popular in America, It's function (duel purpose) is accomplished by many other arguably better birds and they are in abysmal shape. As an example, I weighed my boy yesterday, and he weighed 3.9 lbs and is 7 months old (they're supposed to get up to 8 lbs!) They are both hatchery birds, of course, and I'm on a waiting list from a breeder here, but again, I'm wondering if there is a reason to "save a breed" when it's one that has never been popular or of much interest in this country. Not that any of that will deter me from raising them, I just wonder if I should take it more seriously, or if it would even matter in the end? I haven't even attended a show yet, and don't know if that's what I want to do.

I guess my question really is, does it matter?

I think it matters. Of course this is just my opinion. If these birds are the ones you really like, then breeding to the SOP will give you a goal to work toward. It's going to take a long time to make up that weight difference. Is 8 lbs the requirement for cocks or cockerels? Your boy is only 7 months (still quite young) and he may grow more and surprise you. Hopefully he will gain some more weight and reduce that difference quite a bit.

Are there any breeders you can find that breed these birds whom you can get some started birds from? If so, perhaps they are closer to the standard and crossing their birds with yours will get you closer, quicker.

Got a lead from BGMatt (thanks Matt!) regarding Buff Rocks....Larry Urban in WA

I had a very enjoyable albeit brief conversation with Larry this evening whilst watching my birds graze...many years of experience and really knows the show circuit etc. he is working with some Buff Rock stock...said he had worked with them for over 25 years then made a regrettable error by selling off his Buff stock..said he figured he could get a few back from his line at some point, if desired. Unfortunately,he ended up starting a Buff Rock project up almost 'from scratch' a few years ago...he said he's got a good typed but 'splotchy' buff male he grew out and about 6 pullets/hens he's working with...got some incubating now...he still needs to hatch for himself but generously told me to call back in a few weeks to see how the hatch went etc. He said "you're not gonna like this, but in order to correct color I infused some Buff Wyandotte into this project'...I told him I understood and honestly IMHO could not think of any other way to get the color right on the Buff Rocks without a bit of outcrossing either. He's got Wyandottes (buff, mostly white and SL)...and a black Leghorn project that is "coming along real well"...has many game fowl too. He shared a few show stories with me...one included Harrington and his White Rocks...he said Harrington really knew how to condition big time. Being a 'newbie' it was truly thrilling to speak to a long time breeder/exhibitor. He told me about a few breeders in my area (he's seen their birds at shows the past few years) and that Tucson actually has a decent/worthy annual show too. A really nice guy.
I look forward to speaking with him again in a few weeks...fingers crossed I can get some Buffs by Fall...heck I may try a few black leghorns too.
big_smile.png

Cindy
Cindy do you want to spend thousands of dollars to try to improve a Plymouth Rock Varity that has Wyandotte blood in them or would it be worth getting a breeding trios shipped to your house pay the price to ship them and then start two family's and maybe have something worth hanging your hat on called Buff Plymouth Rocks. There are no good buff Plymouth Rocks left in the USA there is one strain in the North East and the breeder is a master breeder of the buff color. If I had my heart and soul wanting a Buff Plymouth Rock large fowl I would not fool with anybody but him.

There is a breeder in Calif who has some very good Buff Wyandotte's that are maybe even better than todays Buff Rocks. That is a possibility for you. I don't know why you want Buff Rocks unless you like the pictures in the catalogs or the Standard. The fact is they do not look like these pictures and they are ten years away from being competitive in shows in the Plymouth Rock Class. Also, for beginners the buff color is not a easy choice to work with. Just wanted you to know. If you don't want to show them or try to preserve them then that's a different story. Many people ask me for these off the wall colors and they are just not out there. They are to expensive to breed today and they are very difficult to get the color right heck you may have to double mate many of the colors to get a few good ones. Let us know what you goals are. The good breeders do not fool with eggs or chicks so that is something you have to think about when you fall in love with a H breed.

I think it matters. Of course this is just my opinion. If these birds are the ones you really like, then breeding to the SOP will give you a goal to work toward. It's going to take a long time to make up that weight difference. Is 8 lbs the requirement for cocks or cockerels? Your boy is only 7 months (still quite young) and he may grow more and surprise you. Hopefully he will gain some more weight and reduce that difference quite a bit.

Are there any breeders you can find that breed these birds whom you can get some started birds from? If so, perhaps they are closer to the standard and crossing their birds with yours will get you closer, quicker.

I'd be surprised and happy if he'd get to 5 lbs! LOL. But then I don't know much about birds, and you do, so hopefully he will grow. He certainly is a finicky eater, only eating the corn morsels and leaving the rest! It's not just him, but my other boy too. Such a waste of food, but they don't eat anything else, they'd rather go hungry if I leave the leftovers there for them. The girls eat everything up!

Yes, When exop, a member here, is happy with her matings, she will let me buy some eggs to hatch. I'm really looking forward to it! Of course, I will try my hand at keeping what I get at least as good as I get, but breeding will be very slow here until we can move to the country as I don't have much space here. So if I can at least keep the quality up until I can really work on them, I'd be happy. And I'm sure that will also be challenge enough for a novice like myself!

I was hoping I could talk my youngest into joining the 4h club, so we could learn how to show, with me hiding behind her, ROFL, but alas she has no interest
roll.png
The one that likes the birds as much as I do is 20 years old, and too old for 4h, LOL, though I'm not above putting her hair in pigtails and signing her up???
gig.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom