Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I have farming in my blood, though I've lived in the city my whole life. I've always wanted to move to the country, but circumstances were never on my side. I can slaughter an animal, I've done so before, but as stated below, I'm a backyarder who has touchy neighbors. I'm trying to come up with a solution so that I could slaughter somewhere. Getting someone to let me, is another thing
he.gif
I am legally allowed to have 3 roosters here, which should be plenty, but I'm doing strange things to appease my neighbors (keeping them in the house 90% of the time
th.gif
It's not the worst though. Main problem, believe it or not, is that they like to scratch their food, therefore they make a mess around their food bowl that must be kept clean. I can raise cockerels until they start crowing, then choose who stays and slaughter the rest IF I can find a place to slaughter. I figure that's about 14 weeks. That is why I want a duel purpose bird.
Gosh, I learn so much from you! I didn't realize feather quality and egg production were related! Thank you!
Unfortunately, I'm a backyarder. To me, it means someone in the city or suburbs trying to make a go with lots of restraints. Usually only having laying hens. When I was a kid, my dad raised chinchillas, yah, a chinchilla farmer.... another "backyard" thing to do, but that is where I fell in love with learning about breeding. I spent my childhood caring for them, as my father repeatedly got sick, however some of my happiest times were spent with him choosing which to mate, and I did all the cleaning feeding and watering so I knew what the commitment was like for taking chickens on (d@mn easier I can tell ya!) I did this from age 11 until he died at 21. I always told him we should sell to the pet trade, but that was against the "rules" for chinchilla breeders (I've learned a lot about those people over the years, stupid!) They are great pets, but not where the temperatures get too high, unless air conditioned.

Anyway, yah, how long will I be at this? will I be successful? Considering it took 21 years to get my husband to let me keep chickens, I dunno! LOL. I will tell you I have more pressures on me than someone with acreage. I've worked hard to build strong coops and secure runs, and am still working on more. I have to keep neighbors happy too. So I'd be stupid to make promises that I'm gonna fix those Crevies! LOL. But whatever I do and get done, I'll certainly be enjoying myself!
Neighbors LOVE free eggs ! Trust me on this one.

Bill Fox of Ohio ( I believe he bought some of Gary Overton's flock?); Walt Reichert of KY; . Several other folk have 1st generation flocks from these breeders. They may have birds of the quality you want from this years hatching. The parent club, American Sussex Association has a Breeders Directory you can read online for more info.
http://americansussexbreeders.webs.com/unitedstatesmembers.htm
Also do check with Judge Gary Overton "Mr. Sussex". He may know of someone with extra started Speckled Sussex ( Judge Overton's specialty) this time of year. See his contact info in the Judges Directory at APA website.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Great conversation on my post today.

One of the greatest breeders I ever interviewed and met was R Paul Webb from Oklahoma City Oklahoma. He raised Rhode Island Red Bantams in a city type environment and the city encroached towards him in the late 1960s and then told him he could not have chickens anymore after 20 years of breeding some of the best of that time. He got rid of them and got Dark Cornish Bantams I guess they did not crow as loud. I live in the country on three acres I am not a homesteader as I define this a person who does not have lights and lives like they did 150 years ago. I am not a back yarder as I have a one acre chicken pen . I guess I am just a old fashion fuddy duddy breeder.

Live , die and sleep by the Standard of Perfection.

I like a nice old breed chicken, I like to see others try to improve them not just produce them in numbers. If you cant improve them a little you will go backwards and then you lost what someone worked so hard to maintain and improve.

Like these Speckled Sussex. They look so pretty in the catalog pictures yet very difficult to breed and maintain. Tony sure has done his job to maintain them over the years. I can see the limitations to some one who can only have one or three roos. Makes line breeding a real challenge.

Interesting article. Though some of those articles also say that exposure to threat at a young age can help birds survive better... I wonder if the stress of coming from a hatchery is enough to possibly keep a chick from thriving as well as one that hatched naturally, and is raised by chickens, or at least doesn't go through the stress of being shipped somewhere?

Still, it's amazing what newly hatched chicks can endure!

Tony does not sell hatching eggs, or at least did not the last time I asked. I believe he is done hatching for the year although you should check with him in case he has any chicks left. I am growing out chicks from his 4/1 and one week earlier hatch. I will have extra cockerels, may not have any extra pullets. Have had 4 fail to thrive and selling the two smallest left to a local who wants a layer flock. The rest of the pullets will stay unless/until they exhibit DQ characteristics. In another couple of months I will begin culling out cockerels, one is already on the list because he has a tipped serration in his comb. I will wait some time before I decide which 2-3 (or 4 ... trying to develop Reds as well as going forward with Speckled) I am keeping, and have offered the next 1-2 to a fellow lister who has some nice pullets to go forward with. Should leave ~6 cockerels of a very nice line. If you are interested in them, let me know. I am going to get photos of them in the next few weeks and will post here after I have sent them to Tony for his opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom