Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to try a fall hatch. Would not consider it during the heat of our summer. I am going to try to get some pullets coming into lay as the daylight is increasing, and I am still looking for a Catalana cockerel that does not have a smutty under color, has a decent tail angle, good dark slate legs, and a more buff color over all in the same bird.
I have some Catalana pullets that will come into lay soon. Maybe by September they will be ready, and the two hens that I will use be laying well still. This is going to be a numbers game, so a fall hatch would help me get those numbers up.
The Buff pullets you saw here were hatched the 3 week of November.They started laying at 5 months on the nose. I generally start hatching here the middle, or end of Sept. depending on the heat .Fall hatched LF get much bigger down here as they eat more. Bantams stay smaller hatched, and reared in the heat.

Go for it ! You might have to depend on those pullets though, if the hens molt early.

Quote: Page 30 of the SOP addresses how the judges break a tie. Not sure I can quote it here verbatum. It's copywrited. APA is strict about that. Basically:
1. tie between young and old, the old bird wins.
2. tie in the same age group, lesser cuts for shape wins.
3. in a trio entry, trio with highest scoring male wins.
4. still existing tie after 2 or 3, bird nearest Standard weight wins (except some poultry bantam, Turkey and Duck).
5 concerns bantam, Turkey and Duck.

You need to buy an APA SOP. It's like the AKC Book Of Dogs, but way more in-depth. http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/store.htm
While you are over there, pick up a copy of the Black and White Illustrations.
They are a great way to see breed type and done by some of the greatest poultry illustrators ever.
The 1st 38 pages are extremely enlightening, esp. if you come from the dog world, as I also did.
Best,
Karen
Bellwether Collies (retired)
--------------------------
Once a bird is a champion, is there a class just for the champions to compete against each other to continue their show career?
Good question. I don't know the answer. Can someone explain?

Last edited:
Great informative and specific post !

One thing I have noticed is that too few people know how to properly pick up a chicken, especially a large fowl. You do NOT pick them up like a rock, and clutch them to your bosom, leaving their feet dangling, and the poor chicken unable to breath. No wonder they struggle. !

It's a simple matter to scoop up a bird with your hand supporting their keel.You can hold most birds' thighs between the fingers of that hand. Big birds will require the second hand to steady them. Watch the judges at the shows, and see how little the birds struggle when someone knows how to pick them up.The birds who give the judges a hard time are usually those owned by novices who have never been picked up, or scared to death by their owners inept handling.

You wanna weigh in on this one Walt ?

If the bird feels that you will not drop them and your palm gives them support, even the wild ones usually calm down. I can turn a bantam upside down and they won't struggle....it's part of my magic show I use for 4Hers.

w.

Hi all. I've read pages and pages, learning so much and thanks for all the knowledge shared.
I am just getting a flock going, currently have hatchery bo's. After all this reading, I know that I want the remainder of my flock spots to go to a decently bred chicken, not just what the hatchery sends. My priorities are: hardiness (live in southcentral ky so can get cold for a long time and of course summer is a humid sauna), dual purpose but more to the egglaying side, quiet temperment, self-propagating flock. Just so you know, I understand there is a difference in breeding plans versus dog breeding (spent several years involved with akc show dogs) and my plan is to manage the flock to improve the breed. And there is the rub lol.
What breed? I used to have BA's, really liked them and know they are Bee's favs, am astounded by the BO's of dragonlady, love the look of the buckeye, have learned that true RIR's are not the monsters you get at chick days. See? I have a problem. Twelve to twenty spaces and soooooo many breeds.
I would appreciate any guidance from those who have experienced the pros and cons of these breeds.

If the bird feels that you will not drop them and your palm gives them support, even the wild ones usually calm down. I can turn a bantam upside down and they won't struggle....it's part of my magic show I use for 4Hers.

w.
Just like putting pigeons to sleep.A chicken , flat on it's back, will just lie there. Fun trick. I want to see you pull this one with something the size of Monty ! He's very friendly , and calm . He 's just so darned heavy !

Hi all. I've read pages and pages, learning so much and thanks for all the knowledge shared.
I am just getting a flock going, currently have hatchery bo's. After all this reading, I know that I want the remainder of my flock spots to go to a decently bred chicken, not just what the hatchery sends. My priorities are: hardiness (live in southcentral ky so can get cold for a long time and of course summer is a humid sauna), dual purpose but more to the egglaying side, quiet temperment, self-propagating flock. Just so you know, I understand there is a difference in breeding plans versus dog breeding (spent several years involved with akc show dogs) and my plan is to manage the flock to improve the breed. And there is the rub lol.
What breed? I used to have BA's, really liked them and know they are Bee's favs, am astounded by the BO's of dragonlady, love the look of the buckeye, have learned that true RIR's are not the monsters you get at chick days. See? I have a problem. Twelve to twenty spaces and soooooo many breeds.
I would appreciate any guidance from those who have experienced the pros and cons of these breeds.
My Buffs seem to enjoy living in Ky !

Thanks for taking the time to answer her questions. Good job!

Walt

Hi Walt, remember to click on the thumbs up on that post when giving the member an ovation for good post
wink.png

When growing out birds to pick future breeders, do most of you hold on to existing breeders until you know you have a better one? Pen space is getting tight around here.

What do you do with cocks that are over a year old that you no longer wish to use for breeding? Do most of you butcher your own birds? I would like some tips on how to process and cook older males. Last year, I processed a 9-month old German New Hampshire, and I had a devil of a time getting my hand inside the body cavity to remove the lungs. I have a 1 year 4 month old Good Shepard Barred Rock that has to go, unfortunately he was producing a lot of curled toed chicks while his brother's chicks are coming out fine. I am not looking forward to those stiff, narrow pelvic bones.

Yes Dragonlady, someone on the Kentucky thread has some of your beautiful birds. When I showed the DH a pic of that handsome rooster of yours, his mouth just dropped, "You mean those are REAL? Then what do we have in the coop?" lol. Just the question I needed so I can introduce the idea of birds of good breeding, so I want to thank you for that. If I do decide on the BO's this fall or next spring, your line is the one I will be plumping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom