Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I do not vaccinate for anything. I NEVER use medicated starter. I don't like the amprolium being a thiamine blocker (preventing the absorption of vitamin B1). All my chicks this past season were hen raised outside, some in pens and some totally free range. Hen raised chicks very rarely get coccidiosis. They dig in the compost pile on day one. I have never had coccidiosis.

I have hatched from older birds (hens & cocks) as they have survived everything. I was having a loss or two a year to Marek's, but these have lessened. This past season I've had none so far. I used to have some Bourbon Red turkeys but I was always having to combat blackhead (it is on my place) so I got rid of the turkeys.

When geneticists start producing birds that all look similar and are a 80 on the APA scale of points, I'll be on their side. 80 wouldn't get you far in any decent show class.
Chickens seem to be a lot harder than many other animals that people raise and show. My wife has shown Corgi's for over 25 years so I can tell you that getting a champion chicken is a lot harder than getting a Champion dog. Genetics is only valid if you know exactly what you are dealing with...and the geneticist don't always agree.......??

It is science and I respect that part, but I'm sorry, you have to know what genes you are dealing with to apply genetic laws with any kind of accuracy. Heck..Bob could improve a breed before these guys finished writing all the formula's down. One last thing...they only seem to want to talk about color....how do we get the genetic info to improve the body?

That's all.......

Walt
Walt,

We've got to keep preaching it though, Type FIRST,color SECOND, even if we are preaching to the choir. Add those pretty colors make newbies into kids in a candy store.

Last edited:
Well all is ready in the big coop for the birds. Insulated the bottom of the nesting box. Maybe we won't have so many frozen eggs his year.
Tough to prevent it when it gets in the teens oustide.Let's see they will be here by 3pm. That's max of about 18 hours from now.
wee.gif
Karen

Last edited:
Well all is ready in the big coop for the birds. Insulated the bottom of the nesting box. Maybe we won't have so many frozen egs his year.
Tough to prevent it when it gets in the teens oustide.Let's see they will be here by 3pm. That's max of about 18 hours from now.
wee.gif
Karen

What exactly is coming, Karen? I know Juniors and Junettes but what are you getting? :) Very exciting, I hope you post pictures of these for us to seeee.

Ok then. I know you realized exactly what I was talking about. In the original trap nest thread you suggested these then in the end admitted you'd never really done it. I guess you have since then. Good to know. It's been a while. I still hold, by the way, that it's so easy and cheap to make the doors like I have for $1 or less once you get the hang of it that spending $10 or more on the pigeon doors is a waste of good money. But I have a lot more abilities and time than I do money.

Those pigeon doors that Walt posted are only $1.95 each...

Quote: My mentor Mr. E W Reese told me I dont dope my chickens and I dont laundry my chickens that means in Southern Talk wash them.

I wash my white birds a week befor a show. I give my chicks medicated chick starter but may change and give them the same stuff in their water and feed them a game bird pellet which is unmediated. Half my chicks will get this and the other half game bird chick starter and will see the difference. I am going to hen raise my white leghorn bantams this year to see about wing lenght and get away from light bulbs. I may start vaccinating them to fowl pox. My new breeds that are less than six years old white Leghorns and white rocks have had some bad fowl pox sores on them The Reds are so use to the Mosquito bites they are immunied to it.

Thats about it for me. If they can not make it on their own I let them die. I use the Fit of the Fittest principle on every thing. Mr. Silkie says Hi Walt. He wants some mates any idea. I showed him pictures of the Sermas and he shook his head back and forth and I think that means no.

These genetic people on color have always gave me a laugh. I have never know one who was a master breeder except C Y Cy Lewis of Portland Oregon. He was the champion of the Genetic talk and proved it in the show room. Great mentor and Walt he was H V Ken Cookes mentor as well. He turned out pretty good.

When it comes to breeding and juding a mentor of mine Maurice Wallace said type was 66% of the 100 points on a Chicken with color. So I have always paid attention to type first and color second. If you a a newbie I tryi to tell you to foucus on type first and in three to four years you should have a good grasp with color. In most breeds that are super pretty they are the hardest color to breed. Thats why a White Breed, then black, then buff then maybe barred is a good breed to start with. Starting out with Partride, Silver Pencilled, or even Coloumbian is for the super smart experience breeders. If they where so easy to breed why is there only one or two who have anything worth looking at and in some cases they are lucky to score 93 points. That is why they hardly win at shows. Look pretty in the hatchery catalogs but hard as you know what to breed. KISS. bob

Last edited:
a) Do any of you have an "egglayers only" pen for your pullet culls, or a "meatbirds" pen for your male culls or do you just cull them (either by selling, killing, etc)? I don't like the thought of eating or selling to eat - fertilized eggs from a heritage breed.=/  I figured if I keep the pullets that would-be culls separated - just to lay eggs for this purpose, it might be a good idea.  If it's not a good idea let me know why, please.

Yes, I maintain a layer pen for pullets and hens that I don't want to breed. I do keep a cock in with them, just so he has a place to live and one less male that has to be in a solitary cage. Why don't you want to eat or sell fertilized eggs from a heritage breed? That is part of their purpose, is it not, to supply eggs and who cares whether they are fertile or not if you are going to eat them? Some people think fertilized eggs are more healthy, I think that makes absolutely no sense.

Quote:
What I mean by not wanting to eat fertilized eggs, is because if I eat a fertilized egg I will never know if that egg may have produced a *really* nice chick for my breeding program. At least if the hen is laying eggs and wasn't visited by a roo...I know that particular egg wasn't going to amount to anything other than an egg. :] Just my personal belief...it may not make sense to anyone else and may seem a bit wonky and weird and crazy too...but it makes sense to me, and I'm okay with that.

What exactly is coming, Karen? I know Juniors and Junettes but what are you getting? :) Very exciting, I hope you post pictures of these for us to seeee.
Junior and his Junettes are SQ (show quality) Light Sussex. They come from the same breeding program but are far enough apart I can breed them together. Junior is the product of his APA Grand Champion sire ( named Senior) bred Senior's daughter. The Light Sussex in this breeding program are a pure English line. Been bred in the US for several generations.
Best,
Karen

Junior and his Junettes are SQ (show quality) Light Sussex. They come from the same breeding program but are far enough apart I can breed them together. Junior is the product of his APA Grand Champion sire ( named Senior) bred Senior's daughter. The Light Sussex in this breeding program are a pure English line. Been bred in the US for several generations.
Best,
Karen

Wowzers...very nice! :D I like Sussexes very much (in all the varieties, I think they are lovely). Congratulations on your new additions, and I hope they arrive safe, sound, and healthy for ya! Please post pictures, I would love to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom