Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
re the anti-fungicide in feed oats. never mind. If you think it's not an issue. I just use Plotspike because I know it is pure.
If your planting the seeds as a plot, in the field, garden or yard the fungicide is not a problem and it will not stop a seed from germinating.
Now the tag on the bag of seed has to state by law if the seed is treated also when seeds are treated they are coated with a bright coloring so that the is no confusion if the seed was treated or not.

Treated Seeds -
8845bus1color_live-1.jpg

Treated Seed Tag -
tag_treat.jpg

Quote from Iowa State University -- http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/CS16.pdf
Field crops
Corn, small grains or cereals (barley,
oats, rye, wheat, and rice), sorghum and
sorghum–Sudangrass hybrids, forage
grasses, millets, soybean, sugar beets,
sunflowers, cotton, and flax all benefit
from seed treatment. All commercial
corn and sorghum seed is treated with a
fungicide, and sometimes the fungicide
is applied in combination with an
insecticide.

Until recently, many forage legume
seeds have not been treated. Current
systemic fungicides, however, have
proven useful for control of Pythium and
Phytophthora seedling blights of alfalfa.
Also, alfalfa seed may be treated to
avoid seedborne spread of Verticillium
wilt. Thus, the percentage of treated
alfalfa seed on the market has increased.

Chris

Ok I have a new question that goes along with these strange but wildly intriguing jungle fowl. Someone on this post said a while ago that jungle fowl are not *really* chickens. I imagine in my head the differences between horses and donkeys (almost the same but completely different). I want to teach our 4H club about the jungle fowl, but I am ignorant about them. So whats the differences and are they really chickens???????

The chickens known as 'Red Jungle Fowl' kept by fanciers are not pure 'Jungle Fowl.'

A very good friend of mine, retire Univ. of Ga. research professor Dr I Lehr Brisbin, had the most genetically pure strain of Jungle Fowl in North America at the Savannah River Site. What you see people calling Jungle Fowl are contaminated with domestic chicken genes.

Last edited:
By the way, Brisbin kept 'real' Jungle Fowl for over 40 years. He'll be the first to tell you that the modern chicken has more in it's ancestry than just Red Jungle Fowl. The study by the Japanese that is often sited is according to Brisbin flawed because those birds were contaminated with domestic chicken genes.

The chickens known as 'Jungle Fowl' kept by fanciers are not pure 'Jungle Fowl.'

A very good friend of mine, retire Univ. of Ga. research professor Dr I Lehr Brisbin, had the most genetically pure strain of Jungle Fowl in North America at the Savannah River Site. What you see people calling Jungle Fowl are contaminated with domestic chicken genes.
The town of Fitzgerald, Ga and surrounding areas has been completely overtaken by "some" variety of wild type chicken/fowl. My FIL had some that were brought to him from a friend that lived down in the Tifton area. By any chance are these birds related in any way to what was at the Savannah River Site? I would love to get some more of those birds to my FIL again as they were the best truly "free range" bird he had ever had, were extremely "street smart" and rarely fell prey to a predator

Thanks

Ok I have a new question that goes along with these strange but wildly intriguing jungle fowl. Someone on this post said a while ago that jungle fowl are not *really* chickens. I imagine in my head the differences between horses and donkeys (almost the same but completely different). I want to teach our 4H club about the jungle fowl, but I am ignorant about them. So whats the differences and are they really chickens???????
Jungle fowl are " chickens" Now maybe there are no pure jungle fowl in the US ....but by its own definition if you take a pure jungle fowl and cross it with a "domestic" chicken u get a bird that is fertile and will reproduce. if you take a horse and a donkey you get a "mule" that usually all males are infertle. . . same with a buffalo and beef cattle ....beefalo. now u may ask why there are beefalo % , well those animals most females will reproduce but the bulls are sterile , so the cows can be bred back to a pure beef or buffalo. Sorry got off subject lol , Back to your original question they are chickens , even though due to their ' wildness" have pheasant habits

Jungle fowl are " chickens" Now maybe there are no pure jungle fowl in the US ....but by its own definition if you take a pure jungle fowl and cross it with a "domestic" chicken u get a bird that is fertile and will reproduce. if you take a horse and a donkey you get a "mule" that usually all males are infertle. . . same with a buffalo and beef cattle ....beefalo. now u may ask why there are beefalo % , well those animals most females will reproduce but the bulls are sterile , so the cows can be bred back to a pure beef or buffalo. Sorry got off subject lol , Back to your original question they are chickens , even though due to their ' wildness" have pheasant habits
Actually true Jungle Fowl are a Phasianinae and chickens are a Subspecies of the Jungle Fowl.
Jungle Fowl are no more a chicken than a Wolf is a Dog.

Chris

The town of Fitzgerald, Ga and surrounding areas has been completely overtaken by "some" variety of wild type chicken/fowl. My FIL had some that were brought to him from a friend that lived down in the Tifton area. By any chance are these birds related in any way to what was at the Savannah River Site? I would love to get some more of those birds to my FIL again as they were the best truly "free range" bird he had ever had, were extremely "street smart" and rarely fell prey to a predator

Thanks
Bris and I talked about this one day a couple of years back. No those chickens aren't from Savannah River. However, they are one of only a handful of actual feral chickens. Many consider chickens such as the Key West Chickens to be feral, but they really aren't by any proper definition of the word 'feral.' Those in Fitzgerald are about the closest to truly 'feral' chickens in the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom