Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorkings never quit a nest hu? Never beat up the babies when they arrive either?

Remember not to generalize, because there are differences in lines within a breed. Duane Urch told me that he did not want broody Dorkings, so selected against it. Craig Russell selects for broodiness. In my experience, Dorkings from McMurray's are not broody. Sand Hill's are very broody. Dorkings from other sources vary in their desire to go broody. About 50% of my Dorkings will go broody. Those also have a tendency to hide their nests if free ranging. I've only had one hen quit a nest, that was when I attempted to move her nest into the coop.

I know I saw a picture on here not too long ago of some kind of game hen with her chicks out in the snow. Is there a particular kind of game hen that is best for brooding? We don't get a lot of snow here but we do have some pretty mean winds in the winter and it does get quite cold. In the last week we haven't gotten above freezing at all. Been down in the single digits at night. At least we're not having wind right now. I hate that wind. Anyway. I struggle with issues due to frostbite. Trying to have a barn that isn't totally open because of the wind but still have air freshening so I don't have moisture problems is a challenge.

This conversation has me thinking about using broodies next year too. I think it would definitely be less labor intensive for me... except for the watering/feeding aspect later, but I'd have to do that anyway with several pens of chicks.

Dorkings never quit a nest hu? Never beat up the babies when they arrive either? Anything else as reliable as Dorkings and American Games? I have one silkie cross that I will use if she decides to be broody for me... at least I hope she's a girl. I don't have much experience with that breed and realize its a little hard to tell.

Do you guys move these birds to broody coops when they do their thing or are they sensitive about being moved? I just wouldn't want my other girls laying eggs in the broody nest because then I have to fish them out of there. No fun when you have a broody mama waiting for a chance to take a piece of your hand!
All my American Games made/make great broodies. The winters here can be hard and a mix bag of weather, we can get snow, 40 mph winds, below zero temps, and even freezing rain one day and the next day be in the 50's with the sun shining.
Right now I have 2 or 3 hens that are down on eggs out in the barn so they should be out and about come about the first part of February.

The hen and chicks your talking about is a 1/2 Claret/1/2 Butcher 2 year old hen.

Chris

My 3yr old is a little girl...she is awesome!.

(This was our first show, the birds were enter in her name)

We did not find out when my wife was pregnant for her but with the new baby we found out early (it's a girl also) so we could start preparing Bug for the new baby's arrival. We even picked out her name and already use it to help with the changes coming up in just a few short months.

My fear is that my wife works a bunch of late nights with her practice so I have our little girl with me a lot. I just got things under control (lol, yea right) and now I'm going to have two to take care of. I guess that's it, a baby, a 3 yr old and the rest of our little farm. (lol) I'll get it figured out!!!!

Chris
She's adorable! Looks like you're raising her up right!

All my American Games made/make great broodies. The winters here can be hard and a mix bag of weather, we can get snow, 40 mph winds, below zero temps, and even freezing rain one day and the next day be in the 50's with the sun shining.
Right now I have 2 or 3 hens that are down on eggs out in the barn so they should be out and about come about the first part of February.

The hen and chicks your talking about is a 1/2 Claret/1/2 Butcher 2 year old hen.

Chris
How many eggs can they handle?
Are they under lights to trick them into thinking it's time to sit?
[Please forgive if you've already given the answers.]

How many eggs can they handle?
Are they under lights to trick them into thinking it's time to sit?
[Please forgive if you've already given the answers.]

My American Game hens free ranging 24-7 (365 days a year) so I don't supplement there light, they can handle around 10 to 15 eggs easy under them.
Now I will say though that my best winter layers, brooders and breeders are the ones that were hatched and raised in the winter.

Chris

69765C97-1DB7-4073-83BD-D74925CBE155-1085-0000014B58C0CB3E.jpg

Thought some of you might appreciate this photo from today at the PA farm show. It's a great illustration of the differences between a standard bred bird and a hatchery production bred bird. 2 buff Orpingtons, which one do you think would make the better meat bird? Feel free to use the picture, it was too perfect to pass up.

69765C97-1DB7-4073-83BD-D74925CBE155-1085-0000014B58C0CB3E.jpg

Thought some of you might appreciate this photo from today at the PA farm show. It's a great illustration of the differences between a standard bred bird and a hatchery production bred bird. 2 buff Orpingtons, which one do you think would make the better meat bird? Feel free to use the picture, it was too perfect to pass up.

Wow what a difference!

My American Game hens free ranging 24-7 (365 days a year) so I don't supplement there light, they can handle around 10 to 15 eggs easy under them.
Now I will say though that my best winter layers, brooders and breeders are the ones that were hatched and raised in the winter.

Chris
Thank you.

IN my opinion the Boone County 4-H Club once a year seminar, that is run by Doug Akers and the Pattersons proves to be a great place to learn and pick up quality poultry.
Like this Buff Orpington pullet I picked up. Doug is a great friend and this Buff was given to me for "FREE" And ofcourse I felt compelled to make a $20 donation to the club for the generousity. And would gladly have given more.

Buff Orpington pullet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom