Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My good friend here in Indy who has been into livestock every since he was a little boy, some 60+ years sent this to me.
Remember the good old days from 1918.

I saw this posted somewhere on BYC a couple of years ago, and I get a huge kick out of it every time I see it! Neat stuff to be sure!

I saw this posted somewhere on BYC a couple of years ago, and I get a huge kick out of it every time I see it! Neat stuff to be sure!

It is looking like those times are coming back into fashion. I just seen here on our local noon hour news a feril cock was caught in our cities downtown circle. Boy these Animal Control folk certainly have never tried to catch a chicken before. they finally rounded this cock up in our city's frozen fountain. Look like an ice skating rink. The cock looked like a Leghorn Dun Birchen. Pretty bird. Prolly can come up for adoption here soon.

During World War II everyone was encouraged to have a "Victory Garden", so that we would be self sufficient. That included raising chickens. In OK the schools were not funded unless they had one chicken show a year and the Dept of Defense put out one of the best Poultry Books ever written.

Walt

During World War II everyone was encouraged to have a "Victory Garden", so that we would be self sufficient. That included raising chickens. In OK the schools were not funded unless they had one chicken show a year and the Dept of Defense put out one of the best Poultry Books ever written.

Walt

I had a "garden" until I started letting my chickens free-range. Now I have a plethora of chickens (and eggs, both of which I share with the neighbours in exchange for THEIR veggies) and a WHOLE lot of dirt where my gardens used to be.
smile.png

One on the tricks to breaking a broody is not to allow her a place to nestle and get warm and cozy.So don't use bedding. I am not saying make to uncomfortable but she needs a bit of an airy place with sunlight. When I break up a broody I will place her in a 2'x2' wire cage that is on a stand which allows air under her (Of course with food and water). It usually takes 3 days to get her broke. It is not as cold here but chickens are more hardy that we give them credit for. I don't use any supplemental heat during the winter unless it gets very cold, but 15-18 degrees is about as cold as we get.

Good luck
Ron
Just had a flash back in one of the old poultry books I once read around the 1930s. If you have a broody hen and want to break her up put her in a wire cage with a wire floor like rabbit wire kind. Lets say its 18 inches square or a little larger. Put feed and water in there for her to eat. Hang this from say the celling. Every time you come buy her you hit the cage and make her dance around in the air. Do this ten to twenty times a day when you pass this cage. In no time she will stop being broody. I think the logic on the open air floor and cage was to break her of her hen fever or broodiness. Then when she stops clucking put her back into the main pen she came out of.

If she has a band on her leg you need to write down the number. You may not want to breed from her if you are not wanting broadness in your strain. If you want broodiness like some people talk about her sons and daughters would make good off spring to promote this trait.

On another side story lets say you dont really care its late in the season you got plenty of chicks and she is a super duper show bird. Let her hatch a clutch of chicks and raise them in a brooder pen for a hen and the chicks. Maybe add five more a total of five teen to twenty chicks. Let her raise them and then when she stops clucking put her back into a main pen and record her band number. Put her in a special pen for moulting maybe a four by four or six by six or if you have more females you want to place in a nice pen a 8x8 with four or five large fowl hens . Give her the best feed , water , littler and good all around conditions. When show season comes around say in Oct or Nov she should look like a million dollars. All her feathers are back perfectly and she has a luster on her feathers that can not be figured out. The ans er is she was a broody hen and because of this she will molt back with great feathers and luster such as a R I Red.

This is compliments of the late Kenneth Bowles of New York Mr. New Hampshire and all around great chicken man. You all have a nice day.

If anyone is interested in some good Standard Bred poultry, I just got this from Frank Reese, he is going to be selling chicks, hatching eggs and grown stock. His prices look very reasonable.

Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch Inc..
“THE OLDEST CONTINUOUS BREEDING FLOCK OF STANDARD BRED TURKEYS IN AMERICA”
The Mission of Good Shepherd Ranch is preservation of Standard Bred poultry
Life time member of the American Poultry Association and Master breeder
The hatchery and breeding birds are certified by the National Poultry Improvement Program (N.P.I.P.) through USDA
2013 Poultry sale list of hatching eggs, chicks, poults, ducks and geese:
All poultry at Good Shepherd are standard bred birds raised to meet the Standards of the American Poultry Association. Frank Reese has been raising, breeding, hatching and showing poultry for of 50 years. All the poultry raised at Good Shepherd can be trace back to known old American flocks. We have no factory genetics on our farm. All the birds, chicks and egg being sold are for breeding stock and not for just egg and meat. The main reason for selling our birds is to help people get started breeding and raising their own birds. We work very hard to keep our standard bred poultry at the highest of level for standard bred poultry meat production and eggs production. Many people are now calling standard bred poultry heritage poultry today but their real name is standard bred.
1. Barred Plymouth Rock of the Ralph Sturgeon strain. Got my first Barred Rocks in 1956 from Ralph from Ohio. Barred Rocks were King of the farm and meat world for over 50 years.

· Hatching eggs are 24 dollars a dozen
· Day old chicks for breeding stock are 5 dollars each for fewer than 100 chicks and 4 dollar each over 100
· Grown breeding stock 25 dollars and up from there depending on quality.

2. White Jersey Giants are pure Golda Miller strain. Have had Giants since 1962
· Hatching eggs are 30 dollars a dozen
· Day old chicks for breeding stock are 6 dollars each for fewer than 100 chicks and 5 dollars each over 100

3. Dark and White Laced Indian Game Cornish are pure Tommy Reece strain. Got my start in Cornish in 1994 when Tommy Reece passed away.
· Hatching eggs are 30 dollars a dozen
· Day old chicks for breeding stock are 6 dollars each for fewer than 100 chicks and 5 dollars each over 100
· Grown breeding stock 30 dollars and up from there depending on quality.

4. New Hampshire got my first New Hampshire back in 1956 from a friend of the family. My strain of New Hampshire’s is the old meat strain.
· Day old chicks for breeding stock are 5 dollars each for fewer than 100 chicks and 4 dollars each over 100
· Grown breeding stock is 20 dollars each and up from there depending on quality.

5. Columbian Wyndotte I have been working for years to make and improve my own Columbian Wyndotte. With the help from the late Cecil Moore I feel I have come up with a very good Columbian Wyndotte.
· Day old chicks for breeding stock are 5 dollars each for fewer than 100 chicks and 4 dollars each over 100

6. Bronze turkeys from Norman Kardosh, Rolla Henry and Cecil Moore. I got my first turkeys back in 1958 from Norman Kardosh and kept them ever since. The standard Bronze is the King of turkeys and cannot be beat for a fine heritage turkey.
· Hatching eggs are 5 dollars each for less than 4 dozen eggs and 4 dollars each egg above 4 dozen
· Day old poults are 10 each for less than 100. Their 9 dollars each for 100 to 300 and 8 dollars each above 300
· Grown breeding stock starts at 100 dollars each and up from there depending on quality.

7. Narragansett turkeys from Norman Kardosh, they were Norman’s favorite turkeys. Got my first Narragansett in 1966
· Hatching eggs are 5 dollars each for less than 4 dozen eggs and 4 dollars each egg above 4 dozen.
· Day old poults are 10 dollars each for less than 100. Their 9 dollars each for 100 to 300 and 8 dollars each above 300
· Grown breeding stock starts at 100 dollars each and up from there depending on quality.

8. White Holland is a sport of my Bronze as they were first made 150 years ago. Large self –breeding white turkeys with brown eyes. I worked with Norman Kardosh over a number of years to make a good White Holland.
· Hatching eggs are 5 dollars each for less than 4 dozen eggs and 4 dollars each egg above 4 dozen
· Day old poults are 10 dollars each for less than 100. Their 9 dollars each for 100 to 300 and 8 dollars each above 300
· Mature breeding stock is 100 dollars each and up depending on quality.

9. The Blacks were kept at Danny Williamson’s farm for a number of years and Danny did a great job of keeping size up and a good black bird.
· Hatching eggs are 5 dollars each for less than 4 dozen eggs and 4 dollars each egg above 4 dozenl
· Day old poults are 10 dollars each for less than 100. There are 9 dollars each for 100 to 300 and 8 dollars each above 300.
· Mature breeding stock is 100 dollars each and up depending on quality.

10. We do have smaller amount of breeds we are working on at this time to help save and preserve.
Rose Comb White Leghorns, Blue Andalusian, Rose comb Ancona, Dark Brown Leghorn, Buff Leghorn, Rose Comb Minorca, White Faced Black Spanish, Silver Laced Wyandotte, White Cornish that are Lou Straits old line, Golda Miller’s pure line of Black Jersey Giants which I got from Golda the first time in 1960 and Sadie Lloyd’s line of Bourbon Red Turkeys If there is a breed you’re looking for please let us know and we might be able to help you find a good old line of that breed. It is always best to buy poultry from a known breeder who has work hard to preserve and maintain an old line of poultry.

11. We also have Roger Stanford’s line of Rouen ducks, Gerald Donnelly’s line of Aylesbury ducks, Rolla Henry’s line of Dewlap geese both gray and buff and Roger Stanford’s line of African geese. Please contact us for pricing.

It is always best to come to the farm to pick up your birds. Give us a chance to teach about the birds you are buying. If you wish us to ship live birds we will only ship by air. The flight must be a direct flight to a major airport with no flight changes. You will have to pay to have us drive them to the airport and the cost of shipping.

Contacts for information about birds

Frank R. Reese Jr.
730 Smoky Valley Road
Lindsborg, Kansas 67456
785 227 3972

[email protected] email
www.reeseturkeys.com website
www.heritagechef.com website

Devon Reese
620 664 1778 phone

[email protected] email

Ryon Carey
620 245 7469 phone

[email protected] email

Happy today to see 2 eggs from one of my Farthing (formerly Terry Britt line) Buff Orp hens. They never got going real good last year. One of my friends says these older hens start up early and pitter out by May. So I hope my Akers cock has covered that hen.
Last year I had my Akers cock on my Akers/Britt(Farthing) hen that is my avatar. They produced this cockerel amonst 9 others. Only hatched out 20 Buffs total from this pair.
Bob I remember you saying you liked the tighter feathered look. I think this is about what you were talking about. Tail maybe a bit high. Doug told me you always need to keep a high tail angle bird. Cause over time an Orp line will slowly have the angle level off unless you have a bird like this.

Here is a rear end view on the Akers cock I got from Doug 3 years ago at the Greenville Show.
He has done well with this one hen. Now it time to see what he can do with these 2 Farthing hens.
I like the wide load rear end on this boy. And love those thick legs.

Last edited:
I like the stockiness of that roo.
Happy today to see 2 eggs from one of my Farthing (formerly Terry Britt line) Buff Orp hens. They never got going real good last year. One of my friends says these older hens start up early and pitter out by May. So I hope my Akers cock has covered that hen.
Last year I had my Akers cock on my Akers/Britt(Farthing) hen that is my avatar. They produced this cockerel amonst 9 others. Only hatched out 20 Buffs total from this pair.
Bob I remember you saying you liked the tighter feathered look. I think this is about what you were talking about. Tail maybe a bit high. Doug told me you always need to keep a high tail angle bird. Cause over time an Orp line will slowly have the angle level off unless you have a bird like this.

Here is a rear end view on the Akers cock I got from Doug 3 years ago at the Greenville Show.
He has done well with this one hen. Now it time to see what he can do with these 2 Farthing hens.
I like the wide load rear end on this boy. And love those thick legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom