Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you've discussed this before, but I was wondering if you could list the "easiest" colors and patterns to breed, assuming one can find a decent genetic start. I'm still trying to pick an H breed, and in my research there's been a few surprises, like the difficulties with buffs, all the factors to consider for a good red, double mating for partridge, etc. Makes the solid black or white birds more and more appealing from a learning/do no damage standpoint...but I'm pretty sure they aren't a color I'd want to focus on long term...

One of the best ways to do it is to go to an area APA sanctioned show and find strong stock from a breeder who welcomes the idea of mentoring. Then it doesn't really matter so much how hard it is because you'll be working directly with someone used to meeting the challenges of that breed.

I know you've discussed this before, but I was wondering if you could list the "easiest" colors and patterns to breed, assuming one can find a decent genetic start. I'm still trying to pick an H breed, and in my research there's been a few surprises, like the difficulties with buffs, all the factors to consider for a good red, double mating for partridge, etc. Makes the solid black or white birds more and more appealing from a learning/do no damage standpoint...but I'm pretty sure they aren't a color I'd want to focus on long term...

Everybody is different.  That's what makes this whole deal interesting.  Me?  Even after all these years?  A flock of stay white Rocks still pleases me like nothing else. Just sayin'.

:) I do understand, I find the white birds beautiful, especially the Dorkings (I prefer non-single combs). Just not sure if, for me, that appeal would translate to a flock, long term.

Makes the solid black or white birds more and more appealing from a learning/do no damage standpoint...but I'm pretty sure they aren't a color I'd want to focus on long term...[/quote]

Something that may need to be considered is the variety/breed that you are desiring are you considering the birds solely farm fowl or potential exhibition. Solid colors are usually safer in breeding, but trying to keep a big white bird clean for is not easy. It's a chore. Tedius. Especially preping them for a show. With that said My big white wyandottes are beautiful in the yard and even more stunning all dolled up in a show cage.

Last edited:
I get personnel messages every day on this site and one is what is the easiest breed to get started in.

Lets say you are a person who use to raise chickens as a junior and gave them up when you where about 18 years old and now you want to come back at age 35 to do this with your childed. What breeds do you want to get either for your self or your kids. White of course is the easiest breed to breed as you are only breeding for color. That is why the White Rocks are so popular. They are also the best breed to learn how to breed type as the top breeders have done all the work to get them to look so nice. Now White Wyandottes a couple of strains one the Pattersons in Ohio would be a nice breed and they need help. Lets say you do get some and breed them for say five years then your kids grow up and loose interest or go off to school then you can say to yourself I am ready to move on to the colored variety such as Buff, Colombian or Partridge. At least you have the experience to breed type and you have mastered how to hatch and brood and raise your little chicks over the last five years.

Now you have a person who has been dreaming to move from the apartment to the country and get a five acre Hobby Farm. You might have been like me at age 40 and wanted to get back to a breed you raised when you where a junior. I choose Rhode Island Reds because they where the breed I wanted to get back into and they where available and needed someone to take over as the old timer I got them from was in his 80s. Some may just want a flock of chickens like their grandma had. They start out with feed store chickens which is fine. Every year or two they get new chicks. They do this for thee or four years and then they get on this thread and say I want to have a Standard Breed Fowl. I want to do my part to be a Preservationist. I do not plan to show them but I do want to try to maintain them the best I can so they wont revert back to Hatchery Quality looking chickens. This is the most common Poultry Hobbyist I think there is. Out of say twenty one may get the itch to show their birds and once they do they enjoy it so much they continue and even breed harder to perfect their breed of choice.

So what is your desire.? The most important thing is to enjoy what you are doing have fun and dont worry about breeding them to the standard of perfection. You will figure out which two males look the best and if you should keep four or six females for breeding. You also if you are a beginner need to concentrate on learning how to hatch your little chicks which takes some time to perfect. You all ready have pretty good brooding skills down as you invested some good time with the feed store chickens.

There is nothing wrong in getting one or two breeds of Standard Breed Chickens and if they do not pan out get rid of them and keep the breed you like. A good example was a friend of mine named Charlie V.. from Minnesota. He called me one night at work and asked what I thought about Mark Peterson Buff Rocks and he had a chance to buy some from him. I told him they where the best in the USA at the time. He ended up getting Light Brahmas, Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites. After a year or so Charlie told me he decided he would go with the Rose Comb Reds. They where so easy to hatch and raise and they would be perfect for his cold winters in Minn. The others where just no fun, poor fertility or where not worth fooling with like the Rhode Island Whites.

Some breeds if I was 35 again and wanted to get to help out the cause of rare poultry are: Black Javas, Mottled Javas my new strain, Buff Wyandottes, Colombian Rocks, Yard Full of Rocks Line, Rhode Island Reds Mohawk Matt 1616 line, Light Sussex my friend in Pensacola line Holly, Black Austral ops a few lines, Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds Adrain in Texas the new Sec of the Red Club, Buff Cochin's Tom Roebuck of New England would have to get some at a show as I dont think he fools with eggs or chicks. These are just a few that I can think of the rest are on Duane Urchs list that he has. Remember, he has many old breeds and he is getting near retirement so if you want a breed and can not figure out who to get them from he sells chicks and you could get say 25 in a mixed bag of breeds two or three maybe and go from there.

The most important issue is dont drive yourself nuts. If you cant make up your mine this year put it off till next year. Get you some production reds from the feed store and pretend they are the real kind. Work on feeding them and conditioning them just if they where the real McCoys and then next year you will have researched the breed of your dreams or you may find a Friend on here who says I will send you three dozen eggs next year and you can get started with them. There are enough of us on here who will help you pick your best birds to keep so at least you got something going all ready in your favor. Have fun and keep it simple Stupid. KISS.

This is long winded but should save you some questions as this is what I tell the beginners when they ask me.

Last edited:
Went outside...apparently my bantam Langshans did a better than "well" in their broodiness. Had a bantam white Langshan chick hatched out and peeping under the two hens. Only 4 days early. Tell me that freezing temperatures kills embryos. Bah. I had pulled all those eggs at Day 2 until I could gather enough eggs to make a clutch for her to sit on. That barn was 20* for DAYS with those eggs on the shelf. Put them under her and this happens. Next time..just start with fresh eggs...

I have to say, a yard full of Langshans will beat any ole' Australorp grouping! ;) Nothing quite like bending over and seeing a huge rooster walking up to walk inbetween your legs while you're bent over.

Went outside...apparently my bantam Langshans did a better than "well" in their broodiness. Had a bantam white Langshan chick hatched out and peeping under the two hens. Only 4 days early. Tell me that freezing temperatures kills embryos. Bah. I had pulled all those eggs at Day 2 until I could gather enough eggs to make a clutch for her to sit on. That barn was 20* for DAYS with those eggs on the shelf. Put them under her and this happens. Next time..just start with fresh eggs...

I have to say, a yard full of Langshans will beat any ole' Australorp grouping! ;) Nothing quite like bending over and seeing a huge rooster walking up to walk inbetween your legs while you're bent over.
Battling the elements here in Ligonier too, RP. As you say,frigid here in PA. Going to be less than 22 all day till Monday with temps at night in single digits w/o wind chill factor. Went out to check on the chickens today and discovered another happy fact. Seems the hens combs as a good n indicator of comfort in the coop as are the males. Juniors' comb is still looking bright, warm and happy. No evidnce of his brush wih frostbite. The girls' combs now look the same as his. First time this winter they have not looked too small for their heads because their's seemed small, even at POL. Now the girls' combs are bright, pink and full. So either they are all responding to each other in the breeding season...or the girls combs were also small from the cold and now they are warmer also. Hubby Bob, retired health professional, says that when the body gets cold, it draws pulls blood from its extremeties in order to conserve heat. That's one reason the girl's combs would have appeared smaller. I am so happy for them they feel comfortable now.

Karen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom