Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Don - I'm having trouble visualizing "bushy"...

I'm not quite ready to be working on this yet, but I've always been interested in the whole "open tail" issue.

Thanks, Don - I'm having trouble visualizing "bushy"...

I'm not quite ready to be working on this yet, but I've always been interested in the whole "open tail" issue.
Wynette, An over kill would be think of a standard Brahma., just for a picture. We could do a little on the pinched tail over on the Marans thread.

Quote:
Thank you so much. Your post really reinforces the choices that I have made in my flock. I am currently outcrossing my welsummers to another line that has features that I'm looking for in my flock. I have chosen to work on opening the tails and improving the yellow leg color this year in my flock. I have the first 5 hatched and more in the incubator from this outcross.

I saw pictures posted by Fred on the CSU thread on how to look for that square body type from above. Between that and your posts, I'm very much encouraged in my breeding. I have a much better idea on what to look for to improve the tails in my flock.

When I raise the cockerels from this, I will look for a bushy tail male to add to my breeding. Thanks again, I am learning a TON from this thread.

Thank you Wynette for bringing this back up.

Last edited:
Jeff, thanks much. Then, what is the breeding strategy say, for example, if I've got some pretty good quality heritage birds that are difficult to find other genetic lines of, so I am in need of "using what I have" - is this an impossible task if I don't have a huge selection of birds to work with? Meaning, if I don't have a great female (as pertains to spread of tail), will I never be able to improve on the tail, or would there be a chance of getting there by using the "best possible" specimen I have, and culling for tails, keeping the best each generation?

Our Frank Reese Barred Rocks are fine. Not an issue.

But, I have a Rock project and a Red restoration project, some in their 3rd and 4th years of work. Pinched tails is a plague. I now feel confident in the number of hatched chicks that, this year, I will cull heavily for any pinched tail, male or female. That said, at this crossroad of these various breeds, (none of which should have a pinched tail) this issue must be addressed before continuing to deal with feathering, coloring, etc.

We do start with what we have, as that's all we can do. But..... I'm reaching out this year for a few remedial birds that are needed. There's a sense of urgency.

Last edited:
Quote: I tried to find out who the exhibitor was-- nothing on the cages of course; so contacted the secretary who is probably very busy, too busy, to make those connections.

I love my Whitey ( kids named him because he was a gray-white chick) and he continues to be a favorite, can't catch him until he goes to roost for the night.

Quote: If I had a bird that could forage far and wide and not cost me much in feed money I would totally accept golf balls everyday, especially if the girls made good use of a nesting box everyday , I"m not keen about hunting down eggs.

I do wonder though how this breed was developed because to lay every day eats up a lot of calcium per egg. I would think their original territory had lots of calcium available. If anyone has any thought on that idea, would love to hear from you.

I love my tiny SSH, not quite bantam size. AND though he was slow to mature, he knocked a few roosters off their pedistals. THen a few young roosters kicked his bu--, and now he keeps to himself with a few girls. He is one tough bird with a lot of heart.

Quote: Mine steal from the horses or just make a mess of an opened bale!
barnie.gif
Customers are happy with the gorgeous orange yolks!!

I would think with all the rocks in their gizzards, calcium would not be much of an issue. Most rocks have some (limestone) and they need the rocks to 'chew' their food
pop.gif

Thank you so much. Your post really reinforces the choices that I have made in my flock. I am currently outcrossing my welsummers to another line that has features that I'm looking for in my flock. I have chosen to work on opening the tails and improving the yellow leg color this year in my flock. I have the first 5 hatched and more in the incubator from this outcross.

I saw pictures posted by Fred on the CSU thread on how to look for that square body type from above. Between that and your posts, I'm very much encouraged in my breeding. I have a much better idea on what to look for to improve the tails in my flock.

When I raise the cockerels from this, I will look for a bushy tail male to add to my breeding. Thanks again, I am learning a TON from this thread.

Thank you Wynette for bringing this back up.

After some research, I found a really great guy here on BYC who also has the old garnet strain of RIR that I'm been working to restore. By "reaching out" for some remedial stock to help what I have, this step is ideal. I'm not a fan of mixing strains, but reaching out someone who has your strain or a strain that forked way back when? It's ideal, I think. There are things my birds can bring to this "marriage" and things like wide tails that the outcross will bring to the equation.
fl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom