Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vickie...I will keep that in mind...with this hatch I will be looking at those points coupled with choosing ones with most open tails...as there are some pinched looking ones coming from the female breeder line...the German male parent should hopefully have improved that aspect on some of the pullet chicks especially.

For fun I took this photo tonight with my iphone....naming it "THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT" LOL
big_smile.png

P.S. the 'odd' lot of the bunch is a breeder stock white leghorn pullet chick for my Sis.
wink.png

Miserable cold day, so she didn't want to pose, but rather just hunker down.

This fella is now coming up on his birthday. The coloration is much lighter, to the eye, than the cell phone camera captured.

That is our breeding trio of hens he is guarding in the background. He's a gentle giant, who weighs over 11 pounds.

He's a beautiful!

Vickie...I will keep that in mind...with this hatch I will be looking at those points coupled with choosing ones with most open tails...as there are some pinched looking ones coming from the female breeder line...the German male parent should hopefully have improved that aspect on some of the pullet chicks especially.

For fun I took this photo tonight with my iphone....naming it "THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT" LOL
big_smile.png

Nice to see them learning to roost so young ! This will make keeping them in condition much easier, and exercise those wing muscles.

Last edited:
Quote: Scott have you thought of mating the two males to one very good all around female with good average all around type ? This happen to me about 15 years ago. I was sitting in a pen looking at a male that had a near perfect Red body but his comb was not what I wanted. Then I looked in a pen over and saw a male with the perfect head but his body was short in length. I said to myself how can I get the head of the male with the short body on the male with the near perfect brick shaped body. In the pen I was in a female came up to me all most like talking to me strutting around trying to get my attention then she turned side ways and gave me the standard of perfection profile. I looked at her and she was a very nice long bodied female with a pretty good looking comb. So I ended up mating each male to her then mated the best pullets with the long body from the male that had the perfect comb to the cockerels that the long body male produced the next year. It took me three years but I ended up with a male with the long body and a five point perfect comb. I called this mating a neutral mating using a neutral female to help me transfer the good traits from one male over to another. It worked for me then and could for you to on your Rock Project.

I remember one female that you posted that was standing in a gate and such a hen would make a good female to mate to these two males in a divided time period. Got to toe punch each chick so you know which chick came from which male.

By the way at our Panhandle Poultry Club show yesterday we had a good class of large fowl. Matt Ulrich got Champion large fowl on one show with a New Hampshire Cockerel. Chris from Lou Herzog isiana had a great Mohawk Rhode Island Red Cockerel that got Champion Large Fowl at the second show. This male came from Paul G. in Colorado who also has some of Paul's Reds.

Got to go and tear down the show. Lots of work but what a show it was. It was not just chickens in cages but decorated with plants and other nice things to give it a Euro peon Poultry Show look. If you have not seen a good poultry show and live with in driving distance of Pensacola Florida you got to come to our big one this coming December.

Last edited:
Beside balance and stance and breadth of head and body, what other characteristics should be considered in Wyandotte 10 week olds and the Cochin chicks the same age?
I want to begin leg banding some of the nicer standard chicks from the CW and the Cochin pens. The SOP and other literature im studying address what the birds should look like at adult size but give little information on early selection.

Scott have you thought of mating the two males to one very good all around female with good average all around type ? This happen to me about 15 years ago. I was sitting in a pen looking at a male that had a near perfect Red body but his comb was not what I wanted. Then I looked in a pen over and saw a male with the perfect head but his body was short in length. I said to myself how can I get the head of the male with the short body on the male with the near perfect brick shaped body. In the pen I was in a female came up to me all most like talking to me strutting around trying to get my attention then she turned side ways and gave me the standard of perfection profile. I looked at her and she was a very nice long bodied female with a pretty good looking comb. So I ended up mating each male to her then mated the best pullets with the long body from the male that had the perfect comb to the cockerels that the long body male produced the next year. It took me three years but I ended up with a male with the long body and a five point perfect comb. I called this mating a neutral mating using a neutral female to help me transfer the good traits from one male over to another. It worked for me then and could for you to on your Rock Project.

I remember one female that you posted that was standing in a gate and such a hen would make a good female to mate to these two males in a divided time period. Got to toe punch each chick so you know which chick came from which male.

By the way at our Panhandle Poultry Club show yesterday we had a good class of large fowl. Matt Ulrich got Champion large fowl on one show with a New Hampshire Cockerel. Chris Hershogg from Louisiana had a great Mohawk Rhode Island Red Cockerel that got Champion Large Fowl at the second show. This male came from Paul G. in Colorado who also has some of Paul's Reds.

Got to go and tear down the show. Lots of work but what a show it was. It was not just chickens in cages but decorated with plants and other nice things to give it a Euro peon Poultry Show look. If you have not seen a good poultry show and live with in driving distance of Pensacola Florida you got to come to our big one this coming December.
Bob,
We had a great time at the show Yesterday and thanks for all the help and advice on my birds. Man I love these little bantam RIR's I picked up from you at the show, I talked about them all the way home. Also, both my wife and I would like to thank you again for the pens....maybe one day I'll get you to make me a RIR pen, or a "H" pen, lol!!!!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom