Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... <clip>

In chickens if you contact a real good breeder and ask for eggs or use the word roo this tips him off

<clip> ......

In this modern, online world, I think the smart breeders will start to recognize that use of the word "roo" maybe shouldn't be the only reason to write someone off right away. Maybe you should ask a few more questions.

I go to about 5 shows a year now for about 4 years. First lesson I learned was to wait till the judge was done judging birds. Then kindly ask him if it okay to have him give you a personal critique of your birds. All judges like people are different. I have never had a judge say no. In one case the judge and I had such a good time talking he set me up with some of his White Orps which he never does with anyone. It is always nice to be polite even if you do not agree with the judge. Same is true here. Not everyone is your idea of what you would want them to be. But, for the most part these old school folks do their best to help us learn the "do's" & the "don't's" in the world of Exhibition Poultry. Bob for sure does not have to help. Neither does Walt or Bill. IF you have a problem over verbage I suggest you be a little more understanding why they are here. It is not to belittle us Poultry dummies but to help us come off as carrying about the hobby. When you meet them half way they will help you get what ever line of variety of breed you desire.
Just a thought from one of the BYC dummies.

Last edited:
I think I remember a cock crowing twice before Peter denied Jesus-book of Mark if you'd like to look it up. That was quite awhile ago.

Bill, exactly right!! Depending on the gospel you read....Mark says it this way

And immediately a cock crowed a second time. And Peter remembered how Jesus had made the remark to him, "Before a cock crows twice, you will deny Me three times." And he began to weep. (Mark 14:72 NASB)

Very appropriate for the season we are currently in! If the bible can use that word, I certain have no issue using it either

Edited to say....I must admit that I forgot that this was translated from either Aramaic or Greek, so there was obviously a different word for it during the time of Christ

Last edited:
Quote:
I have no issue using the term cock - all religious issues aside - when I'm playing with the 'Big Boys' since that seems to be what they prefer but I'm also perfectly content to use 'roo when the need arises.
hmm.png

So do you actually think Mark spoke/wrote English and used the word "cock" or was the meaning implied? The exact choice of word subject to language, interpretation, and culture.

I'm sure he spoke english, I saw it in a movie.
lol.png

On the coop card you have " C ", "H", "K", and "P"

"Cock", "Hen", "Cockerel", and "Pullet." It lets the judge know right off what age group your bird belongs in.

I don't think anybody is haughty or trying to humiliate anyone or make them feel like they're an idiot. In the world of show poultry, that is the language used... just like in the dog world, the ***** word is something I never ever use. Not because I'm not in the dog world but just because I don't like the sound of it but if I was to enter the dog world, I imagine that if I was to call my female dog a female dog, I'd get some pretty strange looks. So, if you want to fit into the show poultry world, you call your rooster a cock bird. I've never experienced any attitudes from those who have been breeding/showing their birds longer than I have. In fact, when I first started, I probably used the term "rooster" I don't really remember. I think if I had received any response to it, I would have remembered that.

So, you don't have to live under your rock, just realize that no one is trying to isolate you for the words you use.

Female dog would be real confusing since dog means male [in the canine world].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom