Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE ONLY STATE THAT HAS DEMADED THIS IS MINNISOTA AND I HAD TO HAVE MY INSPECTOR FILL OUT THEIR FORMS TO SHIP INTO THAT STATE. TO MUCH TROUBLE FAR AS I AM CONCERN. ALL THE OTHER STATES HAVE NOT REQUESTED ANYTHING. BELEAVE IT OR NOT I DONT PUT HANDLE WITH CARE SHIPING EGGS ON THE BOX. IT SEEMS THEY KICK THE BOX HARDER WHEN I DO. I JUST PUT FRAGILE GLASS INSIDE.

PLUSE I PLAN TO SHIP EGGS IN SINGLE NEST BOXES LIKE YOU DO LIVE BIRDS. THIS WAY THE EGGS ARE IN THE SAME COMPARTMENT AS THE LIVES ARE IN AND THEY WILL BE TREATED MUCH BETTER WITH THE HANDLE OF THE BOX THAN A REGUALAR TWO DAY PRIOTRY BOX YOU GET AT THE POST OFFICE. IF YOU DONT HAVE TO BE CERTIFIED TO SHIP EGGS DONT WORRY ABOUT ALL THIS STUFF. BOB

http://padgettspoultry.m.webs.com/s...f9a32ace231dbfe6085194&fb_sig_network=fw#2210

Good Mourning and Happy Birthday again to this tread. It has been a lot of joy for me to be involved in this thread and now we have so many new people who are now teaching the beginners what and where to get new old breeds and that was my goal. In regards to what need help the most I think Fred hit the nail on the head on Popularity even the Barred Rocks as old as they are difficult to get the males tails to look right and they are slow in maturing because of the barred gene and turned a lot of people off and they get rid of them. Some don't like the behavior of some breeds or they dont lay enough eggs for them. Some just don't breed true and you got to hatch so many to get any to look right they say the heck with them I am going with New Hampshire's or Buff Orpingtons or Rhode Island Reds instead. Then they become more popular and the difficult ones go to the way side.

Why dont we let some of the members of this tread put up some names of breeds that need help. I will put up three White Face Black Spanish. Salmon Favorloles and Butter Cups.
Now I found something last night on the net that I think will be a huge smash for peple who want to get very goood large fowl and water fowl in Danny Padgets web site above. This fellow is a great chicken man. He was manager of Superior Farms in Oklahoma before it folded its tent. In my view if he would have been chosen the manager of this operation in the fisrt place it could have made a go of it.
Look at the breeds he has available then type the name of the breed in Google or go to Bing.com Pictures and look at the birds. You could order twentieth five day old chicks of two or three breeds and you would have a great start. Heck if you had some friends who wanted some good chickens you could order fifty or more and he could send them to you. He also sells eggs if you are a big fan of egg buying which I am not but it will work if packed and shipped correctly. So get your thoughts together on what needs help but dont go by those stupid pictures that look so pretty. The pretty they are the harder they are to breed in my view. Remember keep it simple and hope you lurkers out there will take the plunge this spring and try some of these old breeds. They are no different than the feed store chickens they eat the same amount of feed. It just cost a little more to get started ask the chicks are about double in cost than the feed store chicks but worth every penny of it. Look forward to your replies in the next few days. I will make a list of the names of breeds as you make suggestions and post them on a message maybe Friday.

Happy Birthday to the best thread on BYC, which is filled with experienced, wonderful, delightful breeders where one can learn from, and have their questions answered.

Mr. Blosi, thank you for starting such a great thread, and wish many, many more years!

Lual

Does the USPS ask if the eggs are NPIP? They don't here in Cali. Some customers might want them to be NPIP though.

w.
Interesting. Here, if we say we want to ship eggs or chicks, have to fill out this form, and if it's out of state, if you can't show NPIP, they refuse shipment. Thought it was a standard (as in national) form... interesting. More digging to do, again... Sigh. Well, if your customer is an NPIP, they surely do need you to be, also... and people are more and more being recommended to even get their 'backyarders' from NPIP breeders, bound to affect the market eventually.

Interesting. Here, if we say we want to ship eggs or chicks, have to fill out this form, and if it's out of state, if you can't show NPIP, they refuse shipment. Thought it was a standard (as in national) form... interesting. More digging to do, again... Sigh. Well, if your customer is an NPIP, they surely do need you to be, also... and people are more and more being recommended to even get their 'backyarders' from NPIP breeders, bound to affect the market eventually.
thats why i think a few people put "glass" on their eggs

Last edited:

Have you tried it? Here's the link for the USPS rules and there's nothing about NPIP:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c5_007.htm

Maybe it's one of those state laws that are "loosely" enforced? I know, here in Cali. you are supposed to get a health certificate, etc. for interstate livestock sales. Rarely is this actually necessary. Shipping to AZ is one state I've found that is so regulated that you have to follow their laws.

BELEAVE IT OR NOT I DONT PUT HANDLE WITH CARE SHIPING EGGS ON THE BOX. IT SEEMS THEY KICK THE BOX HARDER WHEN I DO. I JUST PUT FRAGILE GLASS INSIDE.

I don't even do that (write "Fragile" on the box), because it's my experience as a longtime shipper of fragile items (I've sold on eBay since 1998) that even just putting that word on is like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

IMO, the best way to ensure safe travel of fragile items through the USPS is to double box; that is to pack everything as securely as possible inside one box (do not use paper or newspaper, it settles too much, use bubble wrap and/or styrofoam macaronis), then take that box, and nest it inside yet another box with more styrofoam macaronis in it. Then tape it shut, just put the label on, and ship.

Also, items that are insured do tend to be handled more carefully by humans, but be aware much of handling that happens in sorting centers these days is all by machines. Pack your items (eggs) so that they can withstand at least a ten foot drop, if not more. And insure them.

It's a state by state thing. That's why everyone has different experiences. Just like some states test for more stuff than others and so on and so forth. I think whomever you talked to about the 30 bird minimum was just being lazy though, according to regulations it's just if you have less than 30 every bird is tested rather than a percentage. Which sucks for you, maybe there's another tester around that's not so lazy?

I don't even do that (write "Fragile" on the box), because it's my experience as a longtime shipper of fragile items (I've sold on eBay since 1998) that even just putting that word on is like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

IMO, the best way to ensure safe travel of fragile items through the USPS is to double box; that is to pack everything as securely as possible inside one box (do not use paper or newspaper, it settles too much, use bubble wrap and/or styrofoam macaronis), then take that box, and nest it inside yet another box with more styrofoam macaronis in it. Then tape it shut, just put the label on, and ship.

Also, items that are insured do tend to be handled more carefully by humans, but be aware much of handling that happens in sorting centers these days is all by machines. Pack your items (eggs) so that they can withstand at least a ten foot drop, if not more. And insure them.
Absolutely the best boxes for shipping eggs are styrofoam "Medi-Shippers". They are what drug companies send their drugs to doctors and hospitals in. Ask your GP to save you some. They are indestructible....and FREE!

I wrap eggs on bubble wrap, leaving BOTH ends open, so the eggs won't sweat, and pack them into the boxes. The PO employees are used to seeing these, and assume that there are perishable drugs within, so they take care of them.

Before I get 200 PMs ....NO, I do NOT sell eggs ! I do ship a few to friends, and cohorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom