Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know the correct terminology for the feather pictured below. There is a small feather growing from the same shaft as the larger feather. My H RIR is 19 weeks old and I found these feathers today. Do all breeds have this characteristic? Thank you.
I dont' know the terminology but I do know that my buff orps have lots of these type of feathers mainly on their undersides.

Morning

Sorry, I should have elaborated further.....the cockerels are an improvement as well, but much more disappointing to me than the pullets. Front end, back length, leg station/balance, all improved.....but DANG, for the life of me I cannot get a tail on these guys yet. Color is still an issue on the males as well, but all in all the cockerels are better than the sire.

I've held 4 back so far, 3 are standing out as possible candidates. 2 of these 3 have different sires, so I may keep them both since they will be related on the female side, but not the male side

I liked Georges plan on the hens Scott and I was wondering I can't remember reading it or if it has even been discussed. But do you or are you planning on using the double mating system a hen line and a male line? seems this is the way the columbian breeders go about getting and keeping their stock going and looking right. J/S

Jeff

I liked Georges plan on the hens Scott and I was wondering I can't remember reading it or if it has even been discussed. But do you or are you planning on using the double mating system a hen line and a male line? seems this is the way the columbian breeders go about getting and keeping their stock going and looking right. J/S

Jeff
Jeff

I double-mated last yr to clean up color a bit. Probably will not this year. I think from what I read you can single mate, with an occasional double mating to clean up color as need be

Evening all,

I need some breeding advise PLEASE

For those of you who don't know me, I breed Standard Columbian Plymouth Rocks

I was looking over my 2013 pullets to determine who/which ones to keep. I have kept 2 hens from 2012 hatch (2013 breeders). My plans were to keep the 2 older hens and breed them back to a son in 2014, and breed the pullets back to their sire.

My quandary is this....my pullets are MUCH better than the 2 hens in type and color (much better tails, long backs, great front ends), and the 2 hens were the best I had from last yr.

Do I get rid of the older hens and keep only the improved pullets or do I stay with my plan even though the pullets are better than their mothers?

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Scott
There is an old horsemen's saying, "Breed the best to the best, and hope for the rest." I would breed those pullets to the cockerel who has the best tail and type. The hens I would keep. Breed those hens to a male who did NOT sire those pullets. Throw away those eggs , and breed them right back to the male who sired those nice pullets. After that, breed them to your best K, and see what you get. Breed the chickens, NOT a piece of paper. It's always worked for me.

There is an old horsemen's saying, "Breed the best to the best, and hope for the rest." I would breed those pullets to the cockerel who has the best tail and type. The hens I would keep. Breed those hens to a male who did NOT sire those pullets. Throw away those eggs , and breed them right back to the male who sired those nice pullets. After that, breed them to your best K, and see what you get. Breed the chickens, NOT a piece of paper. It's always worked for me.
Is this the move that is supposed to do a hormonal change like. I know I didn't word the question correctly as I'm in a hurry but if so elaborate on this subject I have read bits and pieces on it but have never studied it of it outcomes and effects.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom