Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, a question for all you old timers. I have a pen of 9 cockerels all housed together while I am letting them grow out a little more, they were hatched March 31st, so are not quite 5 months old. A couple of the birds hold their tails low. Is that due to pecking order issues, or is that a cullable trait? I haven't seen cockerels do this before, but then I've never kept a pen of so many for so long. They sleep overnight in a hoop house, and range in electric poultry netting during the day.

If this is a cullable trait, I will certainly go for it. But one of them in particular is a lovely bird in every other way but this, and if I should ignore it, I'd like to know.

I am considering putting him up in a separate tractor just to see what would happen, but don't want to take him out of the range pen if I don't have to. TIA for advice on this one.

Hate to have to think of myself as an old timer but the calendar doesn't lie. My advice on the bird in question would be keep him a little longer to see what happens as long as you can spare the room he's taking up.
Haven't ever raised Buckeyes but have known Reds to carry their tails low 'till they matured.

I've watched this ongoing exchange with a sense of bewilderment. You come on this board out of nowhere, noone knows who you are or what, if anything, you've accomplished in the poultry world & for some reason you decide to pick a fight with Walt.
Walt's a Master Breeder & is regarded by many as one of the best Judges in the country. He literally has a lifetime of poultry breeding experience. In his lifetime he has had the privilege of knowing & learning from some poultry breeding legends. On this board he has helped any number of people with their breeding programs by offering culling & mating advice or helping them locate stock.
When I finished reading your posts I just wanted to ask "who the h*** do you think you are?

I don’t think I’m anybody special. I’m actually tired of replying. If you followed the thread then you will see that it started with me offering some advice about breeding. I thought I was on a forum about chickens and that was what you do. Mr. Walt said it annoyed him for people to reference dogs with chickens. To be perfectly honest I have no idea why there was an issue with anything I said, other than that. I asked repeatedly what I did or said wrong to no avail. Mr, Walt and I exchanged what fors, but I think you will see that it was perfectly civil on both sides. I didn’t know you had to have credentials, I thought these forums were about discussing chickens, asking questions and helping others. I’m still at a loss as to why my comments were addressed in the first place. Maybe I’m just stupid. Why not just don’t worry about it. I’m not going to get into heritage fowl after all. I apologize if I upset anyone. I apologize if I’ve upset you in anyway Mr. Walt.
Mitch

Does anyone know anyone with white faverolles? I really need a mate for my hen? Could I breed her with a white dorking if that's all I can find?

Thanks for all the replies about the cockerels with the low tails, I will hold onto them a little longer, and see if I can break them out into a smaller/different pen. I also got a kind email with a good suggestion to try putting one in a pen with a couple of pullets and see if that brings their tails up a bit.
wink.png

Does anyone know anyone with white faverolles? I really need a mate for my hen? Could I breed her with a white dorking if that's all I can find?
You could try Ron Patterson and see what he got for whites this season. If he doesn't have one then Lacy Blues is correct, use a good salmon male. Since your chick is from a hatchery you may need to improve on type, and using a Dorking will make that more difficult.

I don’t think I’m anybody special. I’m actually tired of replying. If you followed the thread then you will see that it started with me offering some advice about breeding. I thought I was on a forum about chickens and that was what you do. Mr. Walt said it annoyed him for people to reference dogs with chickens. To be perfectly honest I have no idea why there was an issue with anything I said, other than that. I asked repeatedly what I did or said wrong to no avail. Mr, Walt and I exchanged what fors, but I think you will see that it was perfectly civil on both sides. I didn’t know you had to have credentials, I thought these forums were about discussing chickens, asking questions and helping others. I’m still at a loss as to why my comments were addressed in the first place. Maybe I’m just stupid. Why not just don’t worry about it. I’m not going to get into heritage fowl after all. I apologize if I upset anyone. I apologize if I’ve upset you in anyway Mr. Walt.
Mitch
Mitch it will be alright you'll get used to it and they will too eventually. Its just a phase of a newbie going thru the Curmudgeon club hazing process is all. Don't let the the geezers and the overly empowered ones(some think they are anyways) on here get you. Its a public thread you can do or say what you will(right or wrong)(you'll be corrected for sure, We have the SOP police, the RIR posse, some judges-poultry and public, a preacher or two, they all will correct your English, sentence structures, rights and wrongs, behavior, manners, a lot of things on here. And its ok you will be very well taken care of and advised) all as long as it don't violate the BYC rules. Will it piss folks off? more than likely I been doing for 4 years now and some(a few) still like me. So what if your wrong or some think you are, they been wrong before too. More often times they are right more so than wrong but you know we can't all be perfect. I usually catch it, sometimes post it, sometimes not. I "ain't" seen nobody on here walking on water "yet"
wink.png
I think there are some of these show fowl that can come close to doing it though, the breeders and owners, nah not so much.

Read these few post starting around here I'm sure it'll brighten your morning and give some enlightenment on the situation too. They are proud Curmudgeons too, huh guys? LOL
roll.png
I have other choice words for them sometimes as I'm sure they do me too, but the sensors block them evertime it try to post it up on here LOL sticks and stones boys LOL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/11470#post_10791094

Jeff

Its hard for new folks to be welcomed into a poultry breeders world it takes decades or more to get up the steps to get to the door to get your foot in. It takes much proof of worthiness, I'm still grovelling at the feet of the Masters LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom