Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I couldn't find anyone to video it.

I know Walt and NYReds are very busy, but I wish that they could visit the thread for those of us raising Kathy's strain of Delawares. We have so many questions and need help to do this right.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/777172/delawares-from-kathyinmo

One of the things that I learned is that this is a slow developing line. NYReds, have you found that to be true with yours?

Thanks! I've been reading that thread a bit. I'm wanting to properly prepare to get started with Delawares, and haven't received much "encouragement" here.
lau.gif

Thanks! I've been reading that thread a bit. I'm wanting to properly prepare to get started with Delawares, and haven't received much "encouragement" here.
lau.gif
We do our best to be supportive of each other. I don't mean this to be insulting, but it sometimes feels like the blind leading the blind there. That's why we need some guidance.
Another thing that I got from Walt is that these are so new that we just don't know what to expect yet. Early in the day, I told ALBC's Jeannette Beranger about these Dels, expected her to be as excited as I am about them. Instead, she said that they should be at standard weight at 12 weeks! Then, I listened to judge Adkin's lecture and he said that Delawares should be mature at 14 weeks. I was feeling quite crushed and discouraged after that, but Walt's talk got me motivated and hopeful again.

If anyone is in the area...I will be judging the Baker Creek Seed Heritage Expo here in Santa Rosa today. I will also be giving an APA judges test and conducting a seminar on Delaware chickens at 5:30. Say hello if you are on here.

w.

Man oh Man, I love Baker Creek Seeds. I've never seen okra grow like this. Some of our plants are about 8' tall and the average is about 6'. For 4 weeks now I've been picking 10 okra/day off of one plant. I'll need a ladder to harvest soon.

We've had enough produce that we shared a booth with another fella at the farmers market for the first time. We'll be going back to sell this Saturady too. Luckily the market only charges $75/yr for the booth so next year we're thinking about rearranging the garden to meet market needs as well as our own.

Anyway, hope you have fun at Baker Creek Show, I know I would.

colburg

Funny about that "too many eggs" thing. When saving eggs to incubate viability drops off sharply if you keep them more than 10 days. However, a hen may lay for 2 weeks or more before taking to the nest & many of those older eggs will hatch. Can't compete with nature.
Nope, sure can't.
hu.gif
It's almost unexplainable,
idunno.gif
and one would think with today's Hi-tech gadgets an all that one could precisely mimic the incubation process that Mother Nature has perfected. I often wonder in the duration the hen takes to clutch up a nest of egg(as Bill Mentioned maybe 2 weeks or more) if the stints of time the hen is sitting in the nest of eggs and going thru the egg laying process if this time of heating up of the eggs has anything to do with the process and I wonder if anyone has ever tried to mimic that as close as possible. I wished Bentley would still frequent the site he had some very good info on incubation and details from lab studies that the regular ol Jo the chicken farmer has not nor ever could test out in the normal barnyard environment. J/s

G'day
Jeff

Last edited:
We do our best to be supportive of each other. I don't mean this to be insulting, but it sometimes feels like the blind leading the blind there. That's why we need some guidance.
Another thing that I got from Walt is that these are so new that we just don't know what to expect yet. Early in the day, I told ALBC's Jeannette Beranger about these Dels, expected her to be as excited as I am about them. Instead, she said that they should be at standard weight at 12 weeks! Then, I listened to judge Adkin's lecture and he said that Delawares should be mature at 14 weeks. I was feeling quite crushed and discouraged after that, but Walt's talk got me motivated and hopeful again.

I admit to knowing nothing about Delawares. I don't even know anything about breeding birds, or the SOP. I'm totally blind. That's a fact.
big_smile.png

I admit to knowing nothing about Delawares. I don't even know anything about breeding birds, or the SOP. I'm totally blind. That's a fact.
big_smile.png
You'll love this thread, then! SO much to learn, and most of it you'll find right here, from folks who've been doing it a very long time!

Jeannette and Jim only know what they have read about Dels and what the hatchery birds do as far as growing. Neither has any experience with these. I don't either, this is a work in progress.

Walt

Thank you again for all your help!

I looked over my photos of the one that looked like his tail was too low.

Quote:
Sorry that I missed you both.

And thanks so much to Daphne for helping me haul birds back and forth.

Kim,

Thanks for sharing your birds yesterday! You have a wonderful flock of Delawares and I wish you the best with your breeding program.

Walt, thank you for the great demonstration. I learned a lot. Very informative.

You'll love this thread, then! SO much to learn, and most of it you'll find right here, from folks who've been doing it a very long time!

I started out with a big "What do I need to do to convert my sizable hatchery flock of laying hens, accidental roosters, and their mutt offspring over to Delawares?" question ... and got a few ... "hmmmmmm ... Delawares? ... hmmmmm" responses
gig.gif
and think I may have inspired a few "excitable newbies" posts.
big_smile.png
(That's my best "Excitable Newbie" face).

I also inspired some responses for great alternatives to Delawares ... and have to admit the Buckeyes almost won me over! Some people have some beautiful birds that look like-ish Delawares are supposed to look!

But as I'm so much of a newbie I didn't even understand the intent of those responses or posts, now I'm breaking my Big Question down to smaller questions.

Today's questions:
Should I get my current flock tested?
If so, what tests?
Can anyone explain the testing process to me?

Thanks!!!

-Lj,
big_smile.png
Excitable Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom