Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Bob, I am glad you are feeling a little better.

Thank you, Joseph, yes, this is my first year, a batch of 30 McMurray SG Dorkings. Tonight was my 10 week weigh-in night. The cream-breasted pullet, along with the lighter-weight pullets and cockerels have been moved to the "free-range" pen first, just in case I discover I have a predator problem I did not know about. The heavier birds are still in their safe pen. I do have a trio from Urch coming after the weather cools off.

Best wishes,
Angela

It's an exciting week for me! I found a solution to my housing problems. I couldn't afford to Buy a shed already built, but my kids school has a carpentry class that was looking for a project to frame! All I have to do is buy the material and they build it Free! and I get to help out the school kids.

I am getting them to build me a 10 foot wide and 12 foot deep building with 7 foot 6 walls. There will be a door centered in one end, and a Great big window centered in the other end. It's not huge, but all I can afford right now.

Down one side I am going to build a "shelf" 32 inches deep half way up the wall, giving me and upstairs and down stairs along that side. I will divide the shelf in half so I have two pens 32" x72" for little flocks of breeders, maybe 4-5 hens and a male

To start out I am going to use a rolling mating, ie, one pen of old hens with cockerel, and one pen pullets with a cock bird. I can use the floor for growing little ones.

Eventually, as time and money permits I can build single cages down the other long wall, for future single matings,

The thing is I need to come up with a way to keep an extra few old and young males, in case something dies or something, but I can't figure every thing out in one day.........

It will probably be after Christmas before the building is ready, So I guess there is time... to think.......... but still pretty exciting to me.
celebrate.gif

It's an exciting week for me! I found a solution to my housing problems. I couldn't afford to Buy a shed already built, but my kids school has a carpentry class that was looking for a project to frame! All I have to do is buy the material and they build it Free! and I get to help out the school kids.

I am getting them to build me a 10 foot wide and 12 foot deep building with 7 foot 6 walls. There will be a door centered in one end, and a Great big window centered in the other end. It's not huge, but all I can afford right now.

Down one side I am going to build a "shelf" 32 inches deep half way up the wall, giving me and upstairs and down stairs along that side. I will divide the shelf in half so I have two pens 32" x72" for little flocks of breeders, maybe 4-5 hens and a male

To start out I am going to use a rolling mating, ie, one pen of old hens with cockerel, and one pen pullets with a cock bird. I can use the floor for growing little ones.

Eventually, as time and money permits I can build single cages down the other long wall, for future single matings,

The thing is I need to come up with a way to keep an extra few old and young males, in case something dies or something, but I can't figure every thing out in one day.........

It will probably be after Christmas before the building is ready, So I guess there is time... to think.......... but still pretty exciting to me.
celebrate.gif
What a clever idea to let the kids build your coop! It's a win, win all around ! You might get a few kids interested in poultry too !

Good for you! Make sure that your coop has plenty of ventilation. Depending on your climate, one window may not be enough. On the side that faces away from the rain & wind, you may consider having the top 2/3 open, covered in hardware cloth wire to protect against predators. If you are in a very cold climate, at least have vents just below the roof overhang. Besides the benefit of better ventilation, having more natural light in the coop will help with egg laying and fertility.

celebrate.gif

Exciting. What a great idea.

celebrate.gif
Wow! That's great news.

On the issue of keeping a few extra roosters, perhaps you can come up with a way to divide your two pens on the shelf in half when they're not in there for breeding. That way you would have 4 temporary pens and perhaps rotate the roosters for a week or so in with the hens and young birds that are living on the floor giving them time to be outside and get some exercise?

Maybe have plywood separators that are hinged at the back wall so that when you need them they will be there and you put slide bolts or some other form of lock on the other edge so they can be locked in place?

If you're thinking/planning ahead for this, you'll have 4 doors on the front of your two temporary breeding pens.

I used to take clear plexi glass panels to shows to stop fighting. The lightweight stuff is relatively cheap. It is perfectly legal to take to shows too.

For shows I use acetate sheets between cages. Plexi would be easier to get in between though! Can't use cardboard because the judges need to be able to see down the row (which I know you know, mentioning it for those who might not.)

Because I have to insulate, and possibly heat the building to get early chicks, I will probably have to go with a fan for ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom