Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the perfect combination of number of eggs between broods. I have been thinking that a "Heritage" hen would produce both eggs and chicks with a meat carcass. Are the goals of the SOP "no cushion" a risk to the dual purpose farm flock?

What is the perfect combination of number of eggs between broods. I have been thinking that a "Heritage" hen would produce both eggs and chicks with a meat carcass. Are the goals of the SOP "no cushion" a risk to the dual purpose farm flock?

My big Buff Orps that have less cushion, and conform to the SOP, are heavy layers who will weigh 9-10 lbs at one year.They lay an average of 6 eggs a week, and show no signs of going broody until late summer.They start laying at 5 months.This has held true for all my winter hatched females. I did a later summer hatch this year, and I'll be interested to see if those pullets' laying cycle will be as long.

As long as dual breed "Heritage" hens are bred to the SOP, I do not think there is any threat to their ability to produce eggs and meat. Quite the contrary.

Last edited:
My big Buff Orps that have less cushion, and conform to the SOP, are heavy layers who will weigh 9-10 lbs at one year.They lay an average of 6 eggs a week, and show no signs of going broody until late summer.They start laying at 5 months.This has held true for all my winter hatched females. I did a later summer hatch this year, and I'll be interested to see if those pullets' laying cycle will be as long.

As long as dual breed "Heritage" hens are bred to the SOP, I do not think there is any threat to their ability to produce eggs and meat. Quite the contrary.

My entry was not an attack, I was suggesting that there are many chicken buyers out there of which I am one who desire a perfect SOP bird which go broody every 15 eggs.

My entry was not an attack, I was suggesting that there are many chicken buyers out there of which I am one who desire a perfect SOP bird which go broody every 15 eggs.

That is wishful thinking LOL!

Broodiness has been bread out of most breeds and a lot of Broody Hens are not good at raising chicks.

Last edited:

American gamefowl or Phoenix would fill your bill completely here. or silkies but they don't lay very many 15 egg stints though, they'd rather just sit, too much work involved the other way
roll.png

LOL

Jeff

Last edited:

Just out of curiosity, why would such a bird appeal to you? I have some White Japanese Bantams that require me to gather eggs daily. If I leave 2 eggs in a nest they go broody. For me this is not desireable. I do most of my hatching in an incubator so I'd rather they kept laying. I can produce many more chicks that way.

Just out of curiosity, why would such a bird appeal to you? I have some White Japanese Bantams that require me to gather eggs daily. If I leave 2 eggs in a nest they go broody. For me this is not desireable. I do most of my hatching in an incubator so I'd rather they kept laying. I can produce many more chicks that way.

I just purchased an incubator because I have found that what ronott1 said is probably going to be my fate. Even the silkies that I purchased from a hatchery had a cockerel with a single comb. I wanted the nostalgia of a farm that constantly had a broody with a few chicks in the front yard for my friends and relatives to enjoy and that those hens would be large and able to protect the chicks from a small hawk attack. Just a dream .....................................maybe it is my heart's desire.

I just purchased an incubator because I have found that what ronott1 said is probably going to be my fate. Even the silkies that I purchased from a hatchery had a cockerel with a single comb. I wanted the nostalgia of a farm that constantly had a broody with a few chicks in the front yard for my friends and relatives to enjoy and that those hens would be large and able to protect the chicks from a small hawk attack. Just a dream .....................................maybe it is my heart's desire.

Keep looking for a Broody--It is a great experience. It is not reliable like was posted. I had a Broody hatch some chicks this year but then she abandoned them.

Maybe next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom