Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lual,
I was wondering when you were going to post more pictures. We appreciate it! You NH are coming along nicely.

Scott

Thank you, Scott! I am glad that you are enjoying the photos of my birds. I am looking forward to seeing your birds' photos as well..

They look so good great looking dual purpose fowl.

Mr. Blosi, thank you very much for your kind compliment!

They ARE firebirds Lual ! They are glowing with good health.

I would like to thank you for all the information you shared to help raise healthy birds, Vickie!!

OOh Lual they are nice and sweet in about 2-3 more months they will be even more awesome when they fill out those lanky bodies. I have multiple breeds here and a bunch that are multi-breeds LOL and still yet out of all, the NH stand out head and shoulders above the rest(sorta like a sore thumb) too me that is. I like 'em

Jeff

Yes! you are correct!! they just stand out with their color where no other bird has such brilliance amongst my birds : ) Oh, Jeff, thank you so much! and I am so happy that you like them. Each day they are changing, and it felt like as if they grew those loooong legs over night. It is so much fun to watch them run with those huge, long legs.. I stopped saying: " they can't get any taller" because they do... When will you be posting photos of yours, Jeff? I am sure they are beautiful and am anxious to see them : )

Lual,  they are radiant but I would not expect anything less from Walt's breeding your vast knowledge in avian nutrition.   

Thank you, Deann! I am feeling quite fortunate to have these lovely birds. You did not see them in person yet; let's plan a day for you to come over. Also, on the same day, perhaps we can go to your ranch as well?

Quote:
Both... I have some that are just buckets with nipples (the push in kind) mounted directly to the bottom and hung high.
I also have a PVC setup in the largest coop which is shaped like an upside down "T" - I fill it from the top and the bottom run has 6 push in nipples in it, the top is a 6" opening.

For the brooder and grow out pens I simply use inverted 16 or 32 oz water bottles with a chicken nipple in the lid (make sure you punch a small hole in the bottom of the bottle so that when you invert it it doesn't create a vacuum). I don't have any trouble keeping these from freezing because they are close enough the heat lamps to prevent that.

That protect from a hawk thing probably is a dream.....or a fantasy.
Absolutely NOT... quite a reality... you simply need quality lgd's. We keep several Italian maremma specifically for protection for both poultry and sheep and they will not let hawks or turkey vultures anywhere near. Couldn't imagine life without them.
Of course these are just learning the ropes, but their parents have never permitted a loss of any livestock... they are awesome.

Quote:

Two different "wordings" to be familiar with... sex linked... auto sexed.
Sex linked birds are a hybrid and do NOT breed true.
Auto sexed birds (Rhodebars for instance), should be easily sexed at birth and will breed true in successive generations.

Absolutely NOT... quite a reality... you simply need quality lgd's. We keep several Italian maremma specifically for protection for both poultry and sheep and they will not let hawks or turkey vultures anywhere near. Couldn't imagine life without them.
Of course these are just learning the ropes, but their parents have never permitted a loss of any livestock... they are awesome.

I love the pics of your pups, but NYREDS was referring to someone's wish to have LF broodies protect chicks from hawks.

I can't place which thread I saw these stories on, was a while back when I was researching LF Cornish. People were very happy with their take-no-prisoners mom-style. As in, fight hawks to the death rather than let 'em have the babies. A LF cornish might fit the bill... But then you have to deal with LF Cornish. Several of the serious Cornish breeders have signature lines referencing a lack of sanity. But, if you want an effective protective mama... might be worth researching.

Thank you, Deann! I am feeling quite fortunate to have these lovely birds. You did not see them in person yet; let's plan a day for you to come over. Also, on the same day, perhaps we can go to your ranch as well?
I would love to see them in person, and have you over as well. Oh, I wanted to tell you. We have a pair of blue heron nesting at the lake and one of them decided to fly into the layer field. Due to all our hawk issues, the poor chickens were petrified and ran for the coop. I think the herons feelings were hurt. LOL

Last edited:
I would love to see them in person, and have you over as well.   Oh,  I wanted to tell you. We have a pair of blue heron nesting at the lake and one of them decided to fly into the layer field.  Due to all our hawk issues, the poor chickens were petrified and ran for the coop.  I think the herons feelings were hurt.  LOL   

Ohh, Deann, I would love to sketch and take some reference photos of your herons. Herons and Egrets have always been one of my favorite subject matters to work on : )

Last edited:
Ohh, Deann, I would love to sketch and take some reference photos of your herons. Herons and Egrets have always been one of my favorite subject matters to work on : )

Reddish Egrets/Texas

Beautiful painting. I knew you would appreciate knowing there was a pair here. In the 70's there was supposedly only a 1000 in California (can't remember if that as 1000 or 1000 pair) I was still really young. I just remember that my family was thrilled that we had a breeding pair at the ranch. We have had herons living here ever since. I hope they'll make an appearance when you come over.

Beautiful pups! Do you have the parents, too, are are you starting out with these pups? I have heard of the reputation of these dogs and understand that they really bond with the animals they are guarding and don't really bond with their people? It would be interesting to follow the progress of your pups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom