Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you could attend a poultry show and find a few of these females in the for sale section Don't know if all these breeds are available in Indiana. They just had a big state fair with many of these breeds where there. One thing I got in the mail today was the Poultry Press with the shows advertised for the next 90 days. There is a two big shows in Ohio coming up in Oct and Nov.

I would say go to the Ohio National in November, buy what you think looks nice. There will be a variety of birds in sale coops, and the variety will likely include pullets of the breeds you are looking for. Otherwise, Id say go to any nearby shows or swaps. There are always breeders unloading pullets at reasonable prices.

Here is the website, http://ohionational.org/

This show is truly an experience worth enjoying. Even on its off years(no APA/ABA meets), its a breath taking show.

Last edited:
You missed a big swap meet in Dayton Ohio last Sunday!!! I agree with bob go to Ohio national in Columbus meet with folks showing what your interested in!!! A little late this year!!
Most of us have sold off our pullets!!! If you want pullets you need to find a breeder that culls at 2,4,6 months!! Try the livestock conservancy map it is by regions lists who sells breeding stock!! And don't settle you know what you want research and get them
I cull my Light Sussex at 6 months. I have 12 pullets from a proven show line and need to place 5. They are not breedable because they are already inbred and fail in critical show points. From a 1/2 bro to 1/2 sis breeding. Looking to place them in an egg flock where they can look lovely in someone's small flock. They are the quality equivalent of a real nicely bred pet purebred puppy. All my Light Sussex are gentle and curious, crowding around my feet when I come to the coop.
My entire foundation trio is NPIP including the pullets' parents.
I am doing an outcross next year and then will have started birds for sale from that breeding. These pullets are near point of lay and should start laying in Nov. Their dam is my best layer. Has never gone broody and several times has laid 2 eggs in 36 hours. Her 1/2 sister is my avatar.
Best,
Karen
Waterford English Light Sussex ( exclusively)
in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Quote:
That last photo looks like a turkey vulture. If it is, it's no threat to your live chickens.

I was standing outside the other day when one of my Black Javas gave a hawk call and they all ran for cover. A few seconds later a pair of fighter jets flew overhead. Maybe I should have run for cover with the rest of the chickens :)

Hey y'all

I seem to have an ongoing problem with feather quality in my birds' wings. Not every one but most of them. I need to know if any of you have seen this before and if so, is it a breeding issue or a feeding issue?

Primaries:

Secondaries:

The feathers aren't "damaged" as in parts missing but the webs don't hold together. Last year, I took a cockerel to a show and during the show his feathers looked like this (of course he didn't do well) and then two weeks later his feathers were all beautiful with smooth, tight webs.
idunno.gif

Another question... I have never hatched birds in December before last year so this year I have a bird that was hatched in Dec 2012 and she's been laying fine but seems to have stopped all of a sudden. Will a bird hatched in winter go through the big molt the next winter? I've checked her and she shows no signs of mites or lice and she looks perfectly healthy, just not laying. She's part of my bantam project.

Hey y'all

I seem to have an ongoing problem with feather quality in my birds' wings. Not every one but most of them. I need to know if any of you have seen this before and if so, is it a breeding issue or a feeding issue?

Primaries:

Secondaries:

The feathers aren't "damaged" as in parts missing but the webs don't hold together. Last year, I took a cockerel to a show and during the show his feathers looked like this (of course he didn't do well) and then two weeks later his feathers were all beautiful with smooth, tight webs.
idunno.gif
The primaries look like feathers that are old and or damaged The secondaries look like they will all go together again with little effort. Does this happen during all parts of the year or just now. When did this bird molt last?

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom