Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
my cloud is brainy today with a nisuns fecitioni this what I feel with every pulse of my heart beat(rapidly too)
he.gif

Good day all

Jeff

Love your new avatar, catdaddy!
Hope you feel better soon!

A short time ago, I think someone was asking for this post by Yellow House Farm.
They were wondering which breeds were recommended.
Best,
Karen
------------------------------

Quote:
Precisely! You've got to know what you're about, how much space you have, what you're willing to cut to make room. Rebuilding a breed, especially a project that involves crossing, leads to a lot of culling: huge percentages. It's a lot of fun, but there's also a lot of frustration. A lot pops up randomly, but in that there's a lot of education. It requires a lot of patience. It also requires a lot of space and money. There's a lot to be said for the merits of a more predictable bird, especially if one wishes to raise under fifty birds a year. Those birds that are in strong form at the moment are still not secure. The poultry geneticist and author Dr. Carefoot put it is best when he says that the rarest kind of poultry is well bred poultry. There are lots of breeds that currently are not well bred, and some of us are working on them with a vengeance. This isn't for everybody. Several would-be breeders reach for birds they simply will not be successful with because they do not have the room, "mental space", or budget to do the kind of breeding necessary to make it happen. On the other hand, breeds in good form are being overlooked for a wild goose chase. Would it make sense to ignore well-bred RIRs or NHs or Plymouth Rocks, or Leghorns or Minorcas or Hamburgs or Wyandottes until they are so rare that they, too, are in disrepair? Of course not! Indeed, the fancy needs these fowl. Breeders, new and old, need to see well bred birds to stay focused, to help keep the eye on the prize. Nothing gives me more fire and more commitment than seeing other people's beautiful birds. They give me hope and remind me of what quality looks like. Safeguarding what is healthy is a worthy vocation, a very important contribution to the fancy. Many more people need to choose some of the old classics that are still in powerful form:

Barred and White Plymouth Rocks (maybe Buffs and Partridge)
Silver-laced and White Wyandottes (maybe Columbian)
White and Light Brown Leghorns (maybe in RC)
SC Black Minorcas (maybe in RC)
Silver Spangled Hamburgs
Black Langshans
Light Brahmas
Buff Orpingtons
SC and RC RIR
NH
Australorps
White Crested Black Polish
Black Ameraucanas
Salmon Faverolles

In many ways, these are bedrock varieties for standard-bred large fowl. For many people who contribute and/or lurk on this thread, one of these is a very good choice. and there's nothing wrong with dedicating yourself to one of them. It will be a lifetime of discovery. We will not save all of the breeds and especially all of the varieties in the Standard. The 21st century is not the 19th nor 20th. All of the breeds listed above need folks to pick them up and maintain them lest they fall into the same disrepair as the others.

Correct the Reese NHs she had by then weren't of breeding age in the time frame that Walt received this first bunch. I'm pretty sure that Jeremy is the first and only one to have crossed the GNH and Reese stock up to date, as far as I know. He used a GNH cockerel from Kathy and some Reese stock pullets he reared for that cross.

The ones Walt got would/could/should have some American blood infused into them I'm sure as Kathy had both the pure German and half and halfs from Doug. Matt knows the American line Doug used I cant recall the name as I only ever saw it posted by Matt once it didn't stick at the time,LOL Hallbach(spl) I think If I remembered it right. my cloud is brainy today with a nisuns fecitioni this what I feel with every pulse of my heart beat(rapidly too)
he.gif

Good day all

Jeff

Welcome to my world Jeff. I've had the same problem for 6 weeks and 2 rounds of different antibiotics.Now the ragweed pollen is billowing about. Even the dogs are sneezing.

Welcome to my world Jeff. I've had the same problem for 6 weeks and 2 rounds of different antibiotics.Now the ragweed pollen is billowing about. Even the dogs are sneezing.

Oh yes. We have to give the collie cross Benadryl twice a day at least. Poor dog scratches his eyes and face raw if we don't. I'm ready for a hard frost any time now.

Correct the Reese NHs she had by then weren't of breeding age in the time frame that Walt received this first bunch. I'm pretty sure that Jeremy is the first and only one to have crossed the GNH and Reese stock up to date, as far as I know. He used a GNH cockerel from Kathy and some Reese stock pullets he reared for that cross.

The ones Walt got would/could/should have some American blood infused into them I'm sure as Kathy had both the pure German and half and halfs from Doug. Matt knows the American line Doug used I cant recall the name as I only ever saw it posted by Matt once it didn't stick at the time,LOL Hallbach(spl) I think If I remembered it right. my cloud is brainy today with a nisuns fecitioni this what I feel with every pulse of my heart beat(rapidly too)
he.gif

Good day all

Jeff
gig.gif

This all sounds great, grama/grnpa breeds. WHERE can we get some ... All my fowl is free range and organic certified, I would love to get into this here in New Jersey but auctions and feed suppliers are my only resource. Some one have a web site or contact? Please my mouth is watering already!

This all sounds great, grama/grnpa breeds. WHERE can we get some ... All my fowl is free range and organic certified, I would love to get into this here in New Jersey but auctions and feed suppliers are my only resource. Some one have a web site or contact? Please my mouth is watering already!
Let us know which breed you would be interested in.

Yellow House, your posts are thought provoking and can shake the very foundation of one who has chosen a breed not on your list. I for one have an open mind and as the years go by, I have seen your birds rise to a standard one can only hope and dream possible. When one chooses a breed that is in rapid decline, one must be able to admit a breed is a lost cause, which is difficult for many. I have seen "rare" lines needing so much work, it would take 50 or more years, thousands of hatches/culls and multiple bloodlines to reverse. If there is only one "breeder" on the planet left with them, it would be wise to chose another breed. Collecting a rare breed for a backyard ornament is one thing but improving on one that has a leg set so close together, it's standing on it's own feet, can barely walk or mate is quite another. Good job and I wish there were more out there as focused and dedicated as you. "Keep on Pluckin'"
wink.png

Try attending some local poultry shows and make connections. Your general area is one of the poultry hot beds in the country.

Your APA District Director is Dick Horstman who can be reached at [email protected]

Edit: NJ State Meet is -
Sussex County Poultry Fanciers New Jeresy Oct State [email protected]

All this info is from the APA's website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom