Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all sounds great, grama/grnpa breeds. WHERE can we get some ... All my fowl is free range and organic certified, I would love to get into this here in New Jersey but auctions and feed suppliers are my only resource. Some one have a web site or contact? Please my mouth is watering already!

There are breeders of most breeds and varieties here on BYC. Once you know what breed you're looking for you can get hooked up. Breeders often take excess stock to sell at fall shows. Eggs and chicks won't be available now until late winter as the breeding pens are not together. This time of year, breeders are looking at their younger birds and older birds often moult.

Last edited:
In New Jersey Richard Hickman he is sec of the Plymouth Rock Club and Jersey Giant Club. He can tell you every chicken alive in your region. Type in to Google these to clubs then look for officers and you will find his source. Also, Type in American Bantam Association go to the judges section look for judges who live in this region. Then call them up on the phone and ask them where to find breeders of certain breeds. Be patient there re not a lot of breeders left anymore but in 30 to 60 days you will locate some. You will not find Pure Bread old time chickens other than breeders. The feed store and hatcheries searches are over all you will get is the common chicken mut.. hope this helps.

Last edited:
Want to talk to breeders of Single Comb RIR. I am looking for a source.
What I got before from people I don't think (am sure) are NOT RIR.

Even if I have to take the cull birds, (but healthy) still or yet to laying age, I want to begin with hens as I do have questionable rooster I will use for eggs with imperfect hens.

Then go on into breeding proper hens with a proper breed rooster.

Not sure if I stated that right. After I am more established then will move into the proper breeding for breed improvement.

Last edited:

Even if I have to take the cull birds, (but healthy) still or yet to laying age, I want to begin with hens as I do have questionable rooster I will use for eggs with imperfect hens.

Not sure if I stated that right. After I am more established then will move into the proper breeding for breed improvement.
try the "sister" thread that Bob has going

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
What Fred said...

That Heritage Rhode Island Red thread moves fast! I did start from the beginning and learned a lot from it, even though I do not have Rhode Island Reds. A few months ago I fell behind and within a few weeks was over 1000 posts behind with no chance of catching up. I had to skip those unread posts and start reading from current stuff. Fred is right. If you read the last 30 pages or so you will get a good background. And a really good idea of where to find the birds you want.

Sarah

Post pictures of your questionable rooster. It would be a shame to get some really nice hens and then cross your boy over them and end up with a bunch of questionable offspring. There's lots of help here to let you know if you should use him... if you want that advice.

Yellow House, your posts are thought provoking and can shake the very foundation of one who has chosen a breed not on your list. I for one have an open mind and as the years go by, I have seen your birds rise to a standard one can only hope and dream possible. When one chooses a breed that is in rapid decline, one must be able to admit a breed is a lost cause, which is difficult for many. I have seen "rare" lines needing so much work, it would take 50 or more years, thousands of hatches/culls and multiple bloodlines to reverse. If there is only one "breeder" on the planet left with them, it would be wise to chose another breed. Collecting a rare breed for a backyard ornament is one thing but improving on one that has a leg set so close together, it's standing on it's own feet, can barely walk or mate is quite another. Good job and I wish there were more out there as focused and dedicated as you. "Keep on Pluckin'"
wink.png

You know, what it comes down to is wanting to see people be successful and see standard-bred fowl regain/attain a level of security. I'm certainly (obviously) a fan of stewarding the rarest of the rare, yet it's just recognizing that it's not for everyone, especially those wanting to hatch less than 50 a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom