Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is "clerking" when one follows the judge and fills out the coop cards? Is there more paperwork involved? Do you have to know what you are doing, or will the judge tell you what to write down? Is there such a thing as a "clerk in training?" I would love to do this and I'm great with documentation, but I would be an absolute noob.

Before you clerk, attend shows for a season or so and read your Standard. Certainly read the first 50 pages multiple times, and then start picking individual breed standards to study. Mybe start with the heavy hitters in your region, i.e. the birds that you see the most so that you can take that knowledge to the shows with you and learn to see what you read. Also, it will allow you to understand breeders more fully when they speak.

Last little piece of advice: If you ask for advice, take it. Poultry folk are very quick to notice if someone doesn't accept knowledge and act on it. I often talk with newcomers or witness others talking to newcomers that ask a question and then, when the response is one that would imply that there should be a systems change, the new-comer starts to justify the reason for which what is going on is "necessary". The eyes of the poultry person simply glaze over. Why bother having a conversation that leads no where? I know I do it right away. I smile, and wish them good luck and then walk away.

(I'm not directing this to you personally just as a general statement of what not to do. Once one establishes a reputation for being an arguing-learner those worth talking to turn right around when they see that person coming.) If one takes one piece of advice and applies it dutifully. The next time one gets three or four. Once one sees that there's actual progress, it's like a flood gate of community investment in your project, and in one you get more advice than you can follow in 1/2 a decade.

This is so true. I had an apprentice recently flunk their APA test ....mostly because they knew more than me and didn't listen. This is a person I have known for many years and is a friend..I think this was a good thing...a great learning experience. If you know it all why are you asking questions??? How a person approaches a successful poultry person has a lot to do with how much that person will help you. I have lots of stories about how not to do it. lol

w.

Last little piece of advice: If you ask for advice, take it. Poultry folk are very quick to notice if someone doesn't accept knowledge and act on it. I often talk with newcomers or witness others talking to newcomers that ask a question and then, when the response is one that would imply that there should be a systems change, the new-comer starts to justify the reason for which what is going on is "necessary". The eyes of the poultry person simply glaze over. Why bother having a conversation that leads no where? I know I do it right away. I smile, and wish them good luck and then walk away.

(I'm not directing this to you personally just as a general statement of what not to do. Once one establishes a reputation for being an arguing-learner those worth talking to turn right around when they see that person coming.) If one takes one piece of advice and applies it dutifully. The next time one gets three or four. Once one sees that there's actual progress, it's like a flood gate of community investment in your project, and in one you get more advice than you can follow in 1/2 a decade.
This is true for ALL livestock... hard to help those who think they don't need help.
Good piece of advice.

This is the best way to learn birds. Do you plan to be an apprentice? Funny story....I had this guy on facebook critiquing a bird I posted. He posted some kind of strange remarks about the bird and mentioned he was in the ABA judging program. So....I told him that I will be giving him his judging test.........hahahaha It's the old thing about you never know who you are talking to, so be careful what you say online.

Walt
lau.gif

Hoist by his own petard, so to speak. I love it.

And in my experience, clerking is a marvelous way to learn. Good judges will talk to you as they judge, telling you what they're doing and why. I was privileged to clerk for Ralph Sheriff Jr. several times before his death, and he was just wonderful that way. Almost every one I've clerked for is happy to help expand one's knowledge, they wouldn't be judges if they weren't! (Goodness knows it's not like they're getting rich doing it.)

I would love to be clerking this fall, but my health may prevent it (being on my feet for extended periods of time is hard with the leg ligament issues I'm dealing with.) I may try to do so for a short while at each show, just to help. One of the things I've missed about showing!

Wisher, it's not hard, just have the show secretary show you how they want it done (it differs somewhat from show to show.) And if you have questions, just ask. Most shows are very grateful for the help, and will show you just what to do. Don't hesitate, you'll find it very rewarding.

lau.gif

Hoist by his own petard, so to speak. I love it.

And in my experience, clerking is a marvelous way to learn. Good judges will talk to you as they judge, telling you what they're doing and why. I was privileged to clerk for Ralph Sheriff Jr. several times before his death, and he was just wonderful that way. Almost every one I've clerked for is happy to help expand one's knowledge, they wouldn't be judges if they weren't! (Goodness knows it's not like they're getting rich doing it.)

I would love to be clerking this fall, but my health may prevent it (being on my feet for extended periods of time is hard with the leg ligament issues I'm dealing with.) I may try to do so for a short while at each show, just to help. One of the things I've missed about showing!

Wisher, it's not hard, just have the show secretary show you how they want it done (it differs somewhat from show to show.) And if you have questions, just ask. Most shows are very grateful for the help, and will show you just what to do. Don't hesitate, you'll find it very rewarding.
Ralph was a great judge to clerk for. He was very good about sharing breed info, especially on OEGBs. I had great fun learning about them clerking for him, even though I never planned to breed any. I was intrigued by the sheer numbers of them that are shown, and wanted to be able to pick out the really top ones.

Isn't that the way of it! Clerking just gets you into a position where knowledge is going to be flowing. I love the stories, and it truly is a great way to become more acquainted with breeds you don't intend to raise. When one combines it with reading the Standard, it just helps everything fall into place. I love all the stories that come out. Often one hears folks drop names of greats one has formerly seen in print. One begins to get a clear sense of the legacy that is each breed, that these birds have been handed down again and again. At this time when poultry is in a weaker position numerically, I often hear with green envy tales about visiting such and such a breeder and all of the birds that would be out on the walk, the size of the birds, the condition, the tricks of breeding, the intimacy and depth of knowledge. I leave each time feeling edified and reaffirmed in my resolve to do things right.

Ralph was a great judge to clerk for. He was very good about sharing breed info, especially on OEGBs. I had great fun learning about them clerking for him, even though I never planned to breed any. I was intrigued by the sheer numbers of them that are shown, and wanted to be able to pick out the really top ones.
He also bred Black Dutch Bantams, at a time when I bred Dutch as well. It was so enlightening to have him walk around and show me finest little points in the differences between the two breeds. I miss him...

Isn't that the way of it! Clerking just gets you into a position where knowledge is going to be flowing. I love the stories, and it truly is a great way to become more acquainted with breeds you don't intend to raise. When one combines it with reading the Standard, it just helps everything fall into place. I love all the stories that come out. Often one hears folks drop names of greats one has formerly seen in print. One begins to get a clear sense of the legacy that is each breed, that these birds have been handed down again and again. At this time when poultry is in a weaker position numerically, I often hear with green envy tales about visiting such and such a breeder and all of the birds that would be out on the walk, the size of the birds, the condition, the tricks of breeding, the intimacy and depth of knowledge. I leave each time feeling edified and reaffirmed in my resolve to do things right.
With the nationals here this year, clerking is the one position we always have people wanting to do... we are always short other volunteers, but never clerks.
wink.png

(I'm not directing this to you personally just as a general statement of what not to do. Once one establishes a reputation for being an arguing-learner those worth talking to turn right around when they see that person coming.) If one takes one piece of advice and applies it dutifully. The next time one gets three or four. Once one sees that there's actual progress, it's like a flood gate of community investment in your project, and in one hour you get more advice than you can follow in 1/2 a decade.

I have been wondering about this Advice thing, and maybe this has been my problem. I know what I am thinking when I ask questions, but have no idea what someone is hearing.

If you were to ask the advice of someone at a show, about some aspect of showing/ breeding/ conditioning, would you:

1) select ONE person and ask what they thought and do that? OR would you kind a few people and pick a way to do something?

2) Is it inappropriate to indicate that you have been doing some reading/ studying about "this issue" or are you better off just ask the question?

I am planning/ preparing to build a breeding building, and have been touring a few to see what others have done, from intensive to semi intensive systems. The breeders seem very friendly and tell me things they really like about their space and things they would like to have done differently. Is that OK? or does that turn people off from helping me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom