Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice bird! He looks wide from shoulders to the end of the tail.

Walt

I didn't know my wife had posted a picture of our SLW hen on here until I was reading the Heritage thread and saw her on here...

Anyway Champ American at Lucasville, Oh was a really nice White Rock owned by Doug Akers.......his white rocks are hard to handle.....a Seb Goose won Super Grand Champion of the Show, I think reserve was a awesome Rosecomb owned by the Bennetts..

Winning BB in LF Wyandottes just goes to prove that even a donkey can win the Kentucky Derby sometimes..
lol.png
, thanks for the compliment on her, we work hard on them and grew out a crazy number of SLW large fowl this year. I have always heard you need to really grow out a bunch at least every 3 years to make a jump in improvement...but I think I will only grow out 50 next year...it was just too much work and the feed bill was insane.

Jerry​

Quote:
I didn't know my wife had posted a picture of our SLW hen on here until I was reading the Heritage thread and saw her on here...

Anyway Champ American at Lucasville, Oh was a really nice White Rock owned by Doug Akers.......his white rocks are hard to handle.....a Seb Goose won Super Grand Champion of the Show, I think reserve was a awesome Rosecomb owned by the Bennetts..

Winning BB in LF Wyandottes just goes to prove that even a donkey can win the Kentucky Derby sometimes..
lol.png
, thanks for the compliment on her, we work hard on them and grew out a crazy number of SLW large fowl this year. I have always heard you need to really grow out a bunch at least every 3 years to make a jump in improvement...but I think I will only grow out 50 next year...it was just too much work and the feed bill was insane.

Jerry

White rocks are hard to beat, but you have some awesome SLW's. Your day will come and it will probably be soon if you show more this season. It is VERY hard to keep a Sebastopol in shape. Mine are showable for about 2 weeks before they step on and break all the side hanging feathers. Are you a car guy? (Turbo)

Thanks for the Lucasville info. Can't wait to see pics in PP.

Walt

Quote:
Well, since I see the picture now, I should be able to find you (Walt) at the Tulsa, OK show easy enough (even without a pink shirt).

Now, to get Katy to come along! Come on Katy, it would be lots of fun!

I wish I could, but I just can't justify driving 4+ hours.

Some of us are driving from Arkansas...about 6+ hours!

A few months ago I changed my avatar message to: APA ETL #195. In my signature I placed APA Endowment Trust Lifetime Member #195. I have now changed my signature to read American Poultry Association Endowment Trust Lifetime Member #195. I am proud of what the APA is doing. They are reaching out to the backyard poultry movement to assist in every way possible. The new Standard of Perfection has hit a small detour, but should be available soon. There are lots of folks at the shows willing to assist you. At the Arkansas APA State Meet in Pine Bluff folks were camped out in chairs just waiting for visitors to ask questions. While I was there I answered many questions. Not all of us are experts, but we were where most BYCers are. I hear so many ask what is the difference between exhibition and hatchery birds. The photos posted of the Barred Rocks clearly explains it. We placed Super Grand Champion at our county fair. Had some nice birds there and a great judge (not licensed, but 30+ years experience in exhibition). Now so many local kids want Buckeyes. Why? They seen the difference in a true Heritage APA bird and a hatchery bird. Folks could not even pronounce Salmon Faverolle Bantam, but wanted some. Many had never seen a Brown Red or Birchen Modern Game Bantam before. Granted, ALL thought my champion Chocolate Muscovy old drake was ugly...but he is the winning-est ugly duck I have seen.

The American Poultry Association is a member run organization. We have one paid employee... Pat Hortsman, our secretary. All of our officers and directors are replaced every few years by a vote of the membership. The Standard of Perfection is overseen by a committee. New varieties are added per the regulations. This is how it has been done since 1873. The APA is the oldest livestock organization in the country. We, yes I said we, are only as strong as our members. I have been a member of the APA since 1981. An Endowment Trust Lifetime member since 1991. The APA is what its members make it. No one can judge the actions of the APA unless they become a member.

I complained about our county fair. It was a joke. Last May 2009 a tornado destroyed our exhibit barns. I was angry that our fair board cancelled all exhibits, including livestock and 4-H.Did no good to complain, but I did anyway. I was part of the problem. this year I joined the fair board. Overseen the poultry show. I became part of the solution. Become part of the solution....join the American Poultry Association!

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com

We will be at the Arkansas State Fair Poultry Show next week. We will also be at the APA Nationals in Shawnee, Oklahoma in December. Please look me up. Won't be hard to find...I will be the one with the ugly duck and the pretty girls!

47716_grand_champion_waterfowl_2010_apa_arkansas_state_meet.jpg

Quote:

Did no good to complain, but I did anyway. I was part of the problem. this year I joined the fair board. Overseen the poultry show. I became part of the solution. Become part of the solution....join the American Poultry Association!

That sir, is VERY well said and it certainly doesn't apply only to this arena.

I'm just one fella from OK with a few chickens out back, but I have a lot of interest especially in the older breeds (Dominiques in particular) and I think what I'm gonna go do is join the APA. Maybe here sometime shortly I can get those Dom hens I've been wanting and add them to my flock and start doing my part. (Had a couple in years past but lost them and haven't had any since).

For those of you who will be at the Shawnee show, I think I'll come see what it's all about.

I've especially enjoyed reading through this thread and learning from those with far more experience, well done.​

Last edited:
for those of us that can not obtain trio's/pair's for breeding stock, but can obtain eggs from known lines of heritage breeds, what's the best way to go about carrying on a said line...? Do we ask for eggs from a selected trio, or...?

Seems if the egg provider just selected randomly, we end up with a mess...

What do we ask for, and how do we carry on the line?

Wow! Thanks fort the APA plug Jim! The APA has been helpful to me and I try to return the favor when I can.

I must be really old....my ETL is #2.
lol.png

The APA is going to be much more involved in Heritage chickens in the future. We have formed a committee to study
the APA's role in this movement. It is part of the back to basics that we are now experiencing. Here is a little factoid. The Dept of Defense published a "how to" poultry book during WWII. They must have realized the importance of poultry in everyday life. In that book it is noted that the State of Oklahoma required all school districts to hold at least one poultry show per year or they would lose their funding. This sustainablility movement may be the best thing to ever hit back yard poultry.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom