Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This pic of a print from a Dr. Lewis Cleveger ad is to illustrate the importance of a huge head.
You might want to save this pic and then pull it up to enlarge it. Once you do you can really see how huge a head the "UNDEFEATED" Lady Betty on the upper right had.
I breed to a pic. And usually it is something like this print. Definitely this encourages me to use the bigger head and chest Buffs
I am pretty sure IF Lady Betty was reincarnated and alive today she again would be "UNDEFEATED"
Oh yeah the other Buff Orpington hens aren't too bad either.
I copied this print off the online Orpington club's discussion forum.
Hope this print gives some an idea of the importance of Old School prints and picstures.
Now this is real heritage,
Lewis Clevenger's Buff Orpingtons
clevengerbuffs.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, go against what the "pros" say. You have no other choice and the reality is that when 90% of the people buy chicks or grown birds they are getting brother and sister or some other mating that is far from ideal.

Its not all that bad. The advantage/disadvantage of breeding brother to sister you are doubling up on ALL the available traits and keeps the line very tight. As opposed to a father/daughter mother/son breeding where your doubling up on only part of the traits. I've done both and while its not ideal to do brother/sister you make due with what you have. Bad things can pop up because your magnifying the good and bad. So be forewarned you'll get the good, the bad and the ugly. Then as Walt said cull HEAVILY. Compare mother to daughter, father to son, at the same age with by keeping good notes and only keep the very best regardless if its father/son or mother/daughter and make your pairings again from there. Hatch and cull. So long as you don't get hung up on who's or out of who, and only look at what's in front and compare it against the notes you'll be able to make improvements.

Keep your eyes open too. You never know when you might luck into something useful. Even if its not ideal as far as being measured against the SOP so long as it as good or better then what you have, then its to your advantage to use it in your breeding program. The higher your standards are to stay above the cull line, the better/faster your lines will improve.​

Yard full o' rocks :

Are we staying HERE for all other Heritage Breeds/info?? I see no RIRs in my near future

There are several threads for individual breeds, like the Buckeye thread at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=271644

I
would say lets continue the great discussion about ALL Heritage breeds on here and go to the breed threads for discussion and questions pertaining to an individual breed.

Jim​

Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:
Are we staying HERE for all other Heritage Breeds/info?? I see no RIRs in my near future

I think we should stay here, because the other individual breed threads also include production breeds (hatchery stock), not all Heritage. Just my opinion.​

No we're not done here. I still want to learn more about the development of some Heritage breeds. Like New Hampshires. I seriously have a gut feeling that they were made from more then just selective breeding from RIR's. Just a guess. And iI like to learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom