Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I couldn't agree more with "Saladin's" remarks.....I love what the ALBC does and it's a GREAT organization but their original Buckeye census was way off the mark as well. By surveying mostly hatcheries and a few NPIP participating breeders back in 2004 or 2005 they missed a HUGE segment of Ohio based Buckeye breeders who knew little or nothing about the ALBC or their Buckeye survey! As a Buckeye breeder since 2002 and someone who is NOT into poultry "exhibition" (other than supporting 4H) I didn't realize Buckeyes were so rare until I found the ALBC in 2006 and at that time I had a flock of nearly 400 large fowl. I guess you might say I was a "Heritage" Buckeye breeder before someone gave it a name and did a good job marketing "Heritage Breed".....like I said the ALBC is a GREAT organization and they are VERY, VERY good at Marketing!
smile.png

Quote:
Yes, 2010 ON.....Jason Page had BB with a Buckeye hen or pullet....and you are incorrect about Mr. Brown getting RB.....it was a Crains Run Ranch Buckeye, aka "Lay" strain that was shown by a 12 year old young lady.
Thanks for the tip, too Mitch but I've been raising both Buckeye's and RIR's for a number of years now and I think I got a pretty good handle on the differences between the twwo breeds!
big_smile.png

(You are a funny guy to even make that comment....are you a lawyer, too??? LOL)

OK, I will look back, and no i am not a lawyer, but I have learned from him. And I have heard all about you, Jeff.
wink.png

Oh Punky you do amaze me!!!
lau.gif

Quote:
I couldn't agree more with "Saladin's" remarks.....I love what the ALBC does and it's a GREAT organization but their original Buckeye census was way off the mark as well. By surveying mostly hatcheries and a few NPIP participating breeders back in 2004 or 2005 they missed a HUGE segment of Ohio based Buckeye breeders who knew little or nothing about the ALBC or their Buckeye survey! As a Buckeye breeder since 2002 and someone who is NOT into poultry "exhibition" (other than supporting 4H) I didn't realize Buckeyes were so rare until I found the ALBC in 2006 and at that time I had a flock of nearly 400 large fowl. I guess you might say I was a "Heritage" Buckeye breeder before someone gave it a name and did a good job marketing "Heritage Breed".....like I said the ALBC is a GREAT organization and they are VERY, VERY good at Marketing!
smile.png

I never said join then, no no no, but they do have a list of breeders that may help....just saying!
wink.png

Quote:
Mitch, you seem like a smart young person and here's some advice from an "old timer"....don't believe EVERYTHING you hear said, or written about another person on the internet!
big_smile.png

(I think your mentor, the lawyer, states something like this in his signature....learn to live by that and you will go far my young chicken loving friend)

Jeff,
I have seen posts by you and I see what he sees in some ways. And he is not really my mentor, I have a great eacher teaching
Me.
And trust me, I don't
From what I read in your posts, I don't see the way you do.
Congrats on your strain's win.
In the end we just love our buckeyes.
Mitch

Last edited:
Quote:
OK, I will look back, and no i am not a lawyer, but I have learned from him. And I have heard all about you, Jeff.
wink.png

Oh Punky you do amaze me!!!
lau.gif

I even Amaze myself sometimes
lol.png

Quote:
I had a friend who got hatching eggs from an older guy in Mississippi. They have had this
line of birds for years but I have not talked to the man who owns the flock to know exactly where
they came from.
I have been trying for a few years to get hatching eggs from him but did not want to be
on a waiting list so I had about given up. Last week my friend just gave these to me. He
is going on a trip next week and was getting rid of some of his chickens and this was 2
of what he didn't want to fool with any longer. About 11 months old now.
Now to find a few more but it is so hard to find rose comb, well actually any good
quality heritage breeds around here.
Most people local to me could care less where the chickens come from as long as
they lay for them.

Quote:
smile.png

I never said join then, no no no, but they do have a list of breeders that may help....just saying!
wink.png

Unfortunately, I think that you have to be a member to get the entire list.
hu.gif
That can't possibly be the entire list, can it?

I am not sure, I am a member just so I can get the breeder's book, a great cross referrence catalog.
I do know the site has a classified, but there agin I think you must be a member to place a want ad...best try the Dorking club, and if I hear of anymore I will post, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom