Bob white Quail not eating HELP

crash0330

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Mecca, CA
My Coop
My Coop
As the tittle says I have a problem, my bobwhites refuse to eat any kind of feed, I was wondering why could that be?
I had some plants on their coop and they pick on those and are constantly scratching the ground in search of food, but their feed they rarely touch it.
Help anyone.
I just got this bobwhites, there 15 btw 4 males and 11 females, about a month ago thanks.

UmbraVulpis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Naples
What have you tried feeding them?

I feed mine primarily game bird crumbles and sometimes cracked corn and millet, never had a bird shun its food.

crash0330

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Mecca, CA
My Coop
My Coop
I've tried a lot, scratch, turkey feed and chick starter, and also a combination of seeds and milo.
this is my first time raising quail so I dont know if Im actually exagerating, how much food should a group of 15 quails eat?
how can I tell if theyre not getting enough, I cant watch them all day, but if I fill up their food plate in the morning when i come back from work it seems like its all there and they haven ate at all

UmbraVulpis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Naples
Are they chicks or adults? How big is the food dish? If you've had them for a month they've been eating something.
smile.png
From what I've seen, 15 adult bobs would probably eat less than 3 cups of game bird crumbles every day, less if they are finding other things to eat. If you have a huge food dish you probably just aren't missing the amount they are eating.

Last edited:

JJMR794

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
BROOKSVILLE FL
Quote:
IF YOU'VE HAD THEM A MONTH AND HAVENT HAD ANY DIE OF STARVATION THEY ARE GETTING SUSTENANCE SOMEWHERE... FEED GAMEBIRD CRUMBLES, NOT ANY OTHER STUFF--- IF YOU WANT TO ENTICE THEM MIX A LIL SCRATCH OR CRACKED CORN IN WITH THE CRUMBLE. FOOD DOES NOT NEED TO BE GROUND FOR BOB WHITES OF ANY AGE. SEED/ SCRATCH/ MILO/ CHICKEN FEED OF ANY TYPE DOES NOT CONTAIN ENOUGH PROTIEN FOR QUAIL NOR DOES IT CONTAIN PROPER NUTRITION.

crash0330

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Mecca, CA
My Coop
My Coop
The plate is about 10" wide, I checked 2 of the last night and they had some food on their little sack, I was just worried they wherent getting enough. Anyone of you know bout entritis? Or quail disease?

Top Bottom