Bob white quail thread!!

COME ON QUAIL PEOPLE, WAKE UP!!!

Jeepster, I had quail for a while. Remember reading they don't incubate their eggs well in captivity. I tried and mine didn't but they hatched well in the incubator. Gave mine to a friend because their much appreciated singing went on through the night chumming in predators. I have pens built like Fort Knox but raccoond finally made their way into a huge aviary, ate my 2 beautiful male Red Golden pheasants and almost killed a White peacock. Took 2 months to doctor him back to point I felt he was going to live which he did.

I now have 2 Black Australian swans that verbalize all night long. Won't give up my Gunther and Gracie so am fortifying habitats even more. Have added solar Nite-Guards, done a few other things and may add electric charge wires. Any other suggestions?

I've got a pair of bob whites and I'm going to introduce a Pheasant in their aviary today. Hopefully all goes well

NO!!!!! In my experience the pheasants carry what quail can't tolerate. I do a lot of research and had a Quail Farmer tell me number 1 rule is quail stay by themselves. I read not only do chickens carry diseases other species of birds can't tolerate but pheasants do. I think it was Blackhead. I was loosing quail. Found myself having to worm them every month. If I stopped they'd die again. Removed the pheasants, had to clean the ground good and add a lot more leaves, dirt, mulch, etc; After that all was well. Went back to worming every 6 months.

NO!!!!!  In my experience the pheasants carry what quail can't tolerate.  I do a lot of research and had a Quail Farmer tell me number 1 rule is quail stay by themselves.  I read not only do chickens carry diseases other species of birds can't tolerate but pheasants do.  I think it was Blackhead.  I was loosing quail.  Found myself having to worm them every month.  If I stopped they'd die again.  Removed the pheasants, had to clean the ground good and add a lot more leaves, dirt, mulch, etc;  After that all was well.  Went back to worming every 6 months. 
I know many people who keep them together without w problem

Keep us informed. I do intend to release my 1 Silver and 3 Red Golden males into the huge peacock aviary soon. My Silver and last 2 Red Golden did well in there until a raccoon got in and ate the 2 Red Golden. They went through netting on top, 8 to 12 feet high. I've installed Nite-Guards. Hopefully that will deter them. Will add electric charge wire around the aviary when time permits. I stay so busy.

Keep us informed.  I do intend to release my 1 Silver and 3 Red Golden males into the huge peacock aviary soon.  My Silver and last 2 Red Golden did well in there until a raccoon got in and ate the 2 Red Golden.  They went through netting on top, 8 to 12 feet high.  I've installed Nite-Guards.  Hopefully that will deter them.  Will add electric charge wire around the aviary when time permits. I stay so busy.
I sure will, and good luck on the aviary.

Candled last night for the first time, which was day 6. 11 of 12 were good to go. My kids and I are so excited.

New here. First post. :)

Back
Top Bottom