Bobcat in backyard

Ginger78

Chirping
Aug 20, 2019
I lost a chicken three weeks ago right after I let it out in the morning. Our herding dog was still inside asleep and when I went out at around 8 a bird was gone a pile of feathers was all that was left. Since then we don't let them out early if at all. We have had them free range for 5 years with no issues. I posted in BYC asking for hawk help and we have been trying to take hawk precautions. This morning the birds were making a horrible sound as if they were terrified. I walk out back and there is a bobcat standing in the middle of my lawn. It was not scared of me at all. I actually almost walked right past it and my dog came out and chased it off. Does anyone have experience with this. This is very rare for us since we live in a suburban area. I tried to report it because I know we have neighbors with chicken but was literally laughed at over the phone. Google said wolf urine so we ordered some of that.

I don't have many bobcats in the area, but I do have cougars. The best defense is a strong, heavy-duty fenced run with a foot of wire sunk into the ground around the perimeter and a covered top. The coop should also be sturdy with 1/4" welded wire over any openings and predator-proof locks on all doors. If you free-range like I do, try to limit it to when you are outside. Keeping food in tight, predator-proof containers when not used is helpful as well. Some people suggest hanging old pots and pans around the chicken to bang in the wind, as predators don't like noise at the scene of crime. I hope the bobcat will leave you and your chickens alone. I am sorry for your loss.

I don't have many bobcats in the area, but I do have cougars. The best defense is a strong, heavy-duty fenced run with a foot of wire sunk into the ground around the perimeter and a covered top. The coop should also be sturdy with 1/4" welded wire over any openings and predator-proof locks on all doors. If you free-range like I do, try to limit it to when you are outside. Keeping food in tight, predator-proof containers when not used is helpful as well. Some people suggest hanging old pots and pans around the chicken to bang in the wind, as predators don't like noise at the scene of crime. I hope the bobcat will leave you and your chickens alone. I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you for the wonderful ideas. I really want my girls to free range. Keeping them cooped up has been rough for them. I have been limiting their time outside to when our dog is with them. She is pretty quick and I was so proud of her chasing it away.

I have messed with bobcats. Dogs eventually took care of issue, but cat will use your tall fence against you and the dogs. They jump fences better than Red Fox and Coyotes, and carry carcass away.

Electrified poultry netting might work.

I understand exactly how you feel-I free-range my chickens all the time, and whenever a cougar attack (or coyote attack) happens in the area, I put them in their large run. However, they are so sad in there, so they are almost always free-ranging.

We had a bobcat get all of our ducks and about half of our chickens. One of my hens even had its wing ripped off from inside the enclosure! We had it trapped

Unfortunately yoi wont always het a lot of help from fish and wildlife. We had a bobcat snag a grown turkey UNDER OUR DECK and they said basically that we should have put all our birds up and that it was our fault for letting it get comfortable enough to do that. Thing took out almost a dozen turkeys, and wasn't a predator we've had anywhere near us before the incident

Back
Top Bottom