Bobcat.... Maybe?

AudieWarren

Songster
May 17, 2018
Free ranging in Ga
20181104_082547.jpg
found one of my bourbon reds this morning partially buried. We know for a fact bobcats, foxes, and coyotes are in the area. Last week a turkey was killed in broad daylight. He was still when we found him. Now we found a Jenny partially buried. I'm almost certain it's a bobcat. I just want to see what think.

:barnie:hitthat's awful. Sorry for your loss. Was is buried near your home or chicken coop? I think Bobcats are very secluded animals I dont think it would burry it near people if it intended to return for it. I could be wrong though. Perhaps a dog?

We don't have many Bobcats here and the ones that are here are rarely seen. So I dont know much but I'd think a more gutsy animal would have left the kill behind like that. Maybe a coyote. Do you know how this creature is getting the birds? Did it go into the coop or get it during the day and you didn't notice it was missing?

Signs do look like a Bobcat. They will do their business on your backyard, even in urban areas. They are just sneaky. Do you have a game camera? I would leave carcass in place as you tighten up your anti-predator measures. That way carcass will be focus of attention rather than making a fresh kill.

We free range and sometimes a few turkeys decide to roost in a tree or on top of the coop instead of in it. Every morning just at dawn I open the doors and feed everyone. I also do a head count. We do head counts periodically through the day too. That's how why we went looking for the Tom last week. It stinks losing an animal, but living where we live predators are common.

We free range and sometimes a few turkeys decide to roost in a tree or on top of the coop instead of in it. Every morning just at dawn I open the doors and feed everyone. I also do a head count. We do head counts periodically through the day too. That's how why we went looking for the Tom last week. It stinks losing an animal, but living where we live predators are common.
It is part of the fun. Most people have predator issues, whether losses incurred or not. Have fun solving and fixing.

Back
Top Bottom