Bobcat on the loose; Need advice on our Lone Drake now

Canam

In the Brooder
May 29, 2015
We lost two of our Rouen ducks to a bobcat two nights ago. Luckily I came outside before he came back for the third. I went inside for 20 min to make them a snack, and when I walked out, the lone guy was standing in the middle of yard, facing the porch, quacking for me, as the bobcat jumped over the fence. He must of been hidingn behind the chicken coop.
Any advice on a lone duck?
We put him in with the chickens last night and he seems to be ok, but I've heard so many mixed stories about that.
We've searched our area on CL and nobody is selling Rouens,, so if we have to find a companion, it may be another breed.
Should we bring in another female or male? Is it difficult to introduce them if there is a large age gap?

First I would just double up your efforts to secure your duck and chickens. Once predators know where the grub is they keep coming back. That being said when I was raising khaki campbells, or I should say raising food for the local wildlife, they integrated with other duck breeds, male/female of different ages, pretty easy.

Last edited:
We have a pretty secure setup and haven't had any problems before. It was my fault for leaving the yard for a few minutes without putting them away. It looks like our only options for a while will be finding another breed.

Yeah I lost quite a few party ducks to bobcats. I mixed my ducks with pekins of different ages and they all did fine. I had to clear out the extra males a few times though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom