Bobcat or Raccoons?

bobcats will cache their kills kina half bury it near where they kill it, foxes will just take every thing away as will yotes, coon will eat a lot of it but you will find parts left possum and skunk are much like coon fairly messy kills

I guess I should say that it's dark at my house until 7:30am. So it could well of been raccoons looking for breakfast on their way home.
sad.png
I have found a lot of raccoon tracks, never any fox prints as the only "dog" print has been the prints from my 80lb dog. He does a perimeter search every morning when we go out to feed the horses. The red foxes that I know of in the area are a couple of miles away and in an area with plenty to snack on. They've been in that area for years, raising their kits and we've never seen them venture from that area. There are a lot of "stray" peacocks in that area and they do a fine job of keeping them in check.

Having never lost a chicken to anything other than a hawk one time, I just didn't know what evidence a bobcat or raccoon pack would leave behind. Thank-you for everyone's input.

Quote:
the racoons i have been trapping,and the attack we had happen are all in the pre dawn hours.i know this because of the hours i work.most of the time the sky is lightening up when i get in bed.the traps are empty and the chickens on their roosts.then when i get up around 10:30 or 11:00 i have a coon in the trap.

The only saving grace is that our coop is predator proof. Hardcloth on all sides as well as on the bottom of the coop. My next door neighbor said she's now seeing coon tracks so I'm back to leaning on a pack of coons. The prints I'm finding are bigger than my dogs foot print and he is a BIG dog.

Quote:
What I'm afraid of is catching a huge raccoon and then being the one who has to release it elsewhere. I can see my husband being not so happy about it either.
hmm.png

Quote:
What I'm afraid of is catching a huge raccoon and then being the one who has to release it elsewhere. I can see my husband being not so happy about it either.
hmm.png

i would recomend not releasing.if they allready have a taste for chicken,they will either make their way back.or they will find someone elses chickens.best bet is shoot in the head with a .22.and then release.thats what i do.its not very pleasant,but it protects the chickens.

So the predator(s) has been identified. I got home today at about 5:30 and went outside with the dog, my trusted side companion. He's a Catahoula mix and really is very aware of his surroundings. Anyway, we were in the barn when he took off like a shot, racing to the north side perimeter fence and stood like a statue. I took off after him as I could tell he was looking at something he's not seen before. I get to him and look at what he's looking at. One coyote. Great. Went inside to call my Father to tell him and while I'm on the phone I see another coyote come from the opposite direction across my property. Kept dog inside while I chased it of with my golf cart but did find what it was looking for- 1 of the big missing hens
sad.png
I did not let the 2 remaining hens out of the coop this am as I was worried about not being around to keep an eye on them. They will be on lock down for some time. Dog is very obedient so not so worried about him. Emails went out to surrounding neighbors so they are aware what's moved into the neighborhood. So, do coyotes hang out or are they nomadic in nature? Dad wants to apply the SSS principle. Husband is on travel so is missing all of this fun.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom