1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Bobcat using a tree to get at our birds

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gerryhouser, Sep 5, 2011.

1. gerryhouser

gerryhouser In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    It finally happened, after ten years of raising chickens we have suffered our first lost due to predation. We believe it was a bobcat. We have a row of trees along one side of our chicken run and one tree inside the run, The run has a 8 foot high fence around it. I found deep claw marks in the trunk of the tree inside the run and one of the trees outside the run. No sign of the hen except a lot of feathers inside the run and a trail of feathers leading into the under brush. I've installed 6 foot tall sheet metal collars (4 feet above the ground) around all the tree outside the yard. Hopefully this will keep our rare, if unwelcome, poacher out.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Good thinking on the collars, hope they work for you.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The cat doesn't need the tree to get in since it could just as easily climb the fence

I'd try to trap it

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Songster

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Might add hot wire to your set up.

5. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    a grey fox will climb a tree too

6. gerryhouser

gerryhouser In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for the input all. Unfortunately the collars did not work. We lost two more chickens yesterday. Need about $100 to add an electric wire along the top of the run. Don"t have the money, but, I do have enough material laying around to try and add a 3 foot wide 'wing' at about a 15 degree angle along to top of the fence. I'll let you know.

Buy the way, we did confirm it is a bobcat. The beasty left prints this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by