Bobcat!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LoveNewChicks, Nov 17, 2011.

1. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    right now there are bobcat tracks all over my deck and I have a 8 week old chick,
    any thing to do about that?

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    where do you keep the chick?

3. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Hmmh...i doubt the bobcat smelled him from outside? probably just a rare passer by IMO

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I have seen a bobcat....once. Never has bothered my chickens. Of course, I'm overrun with rabbits and other small furry animals, so that could explain why I've never lost a chicken to one. They don't like people at all, so I have to agree, probably just a quick visit. However, if I found tracks on my deck, I would be hyper-vigilant for a few days. Good luck!

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Electric Fence and a secure coop and run.

6. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    Lock n Load. I just had a bobcat in my yard not 1/2 hour ago, trying to get my girls, thank goodness no one was hurt, but sure was scary. It wasn't 20' from my back deck.[​IMG] I heard girls giving the alarm & grabbed the 16 gauge as I went out the back door & there it was, so I fired at it, It ran off into woods, I grabbed the 7mm-08 & fired 2-3 more rounds into the area where it ran into the woods, don't know if I hit it, but I'm ready now. First coyotes, then foxes & hawks, now bobcats[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Bobcats generally do not keep patrolling a given location unless den site with kittens. They move about a lot over several square miles versus the several acres of the domestic cat. I have a bobcat on me but bet he comes across my little 20 acre patch maybe one a month and I get lucky to see it even less than that. I have yet to attribute a chicken loss to bobcat which is likely do to activities of dog that will chase bobcat just like it does domestics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by