BOBCAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need some advice.... Something keeps getting n2 my pen and making off with my hens. Hens started going crazy n pen Saturday early am husband and I went out he saw eyes n trees and fired his rifle at it. Same thing happened early Monday am this time it got one of my hens and took with it we heard running n the woods behind the pen. Put chicken wire all over top of pen and enclosed hens n2 the one pen we covered at night went out this am and another hen has been taken and one left bleeding around her chest. Chicken wire has been pulled away from corner of pen and only feathers remain of my girl. No tracks no fur or anything left from what is taking them. Set trap and put old meat n, the meat got eaten but the trap never shut. Anyone have any suggestions or any clue what could be getting n the pen and carrying these girls away?

make sure there is no spaces in your yard for the bobcat to hide in. lock your chickens up at night. did the cat attack during the day or night?

You CAN live trap bobcats. But dear god I would not want to. They are full of piss and vinegar like none other, like turn-around-and-rip-your-face-off-as-you-try-to-let-it-go mean. Plus it will very likely track back to its home range, unless you take it REALLY (100+ miles) away. You will also need a trap larger than any hav-a-hart they make. It may also be illegal (at least to trap and relocate them). On top of it all they are intelligent. Fully enclosing your chicken pen is going to be the only way to keep it out, and even then it may find a way in. If you are in an area where it is legal to do so, I would recommend you acquire yourself a nice bobcat fur hat. If you do not want to take that route, contact your local wildlife division. Most states have trappers that they can send out to remove threats like that.

Last edited:
They have been attracted during the night everytime. Didn't come back last night but have cameras set up to try and capture exactly what it is.

Does anyone know if a bobcat or coyote can get through traditional chickenwire or 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth? Is that enough to keep them out?

Well got all my girls and roo enclosed n their coop for the night attached a board to the opening of their coop hoping it will keep out whatever predator is taking them. Wish me luck!

Does anyone know if a bobcat or coyote can get through traditional chickenwire or 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth?   Is that enough to keep them out?

Chicken wire is generally not recommended for predator proofing it isn't very strong. Hardware cloth is generally the way to go but even with that I prefer to layer it over welded wire or chain link or some other type of fence for strength and just rely on the hardware cloth to block small predators from squeezing through

Have had three hens taken during the day...the last one yesterday with my husband and I standing withing 8 ft. of the hens!

The first one disappeared a couple of weeks ago with no signs of trauma - no feathers or tracks. The second was taken last week - about 25 feet from our house - feathers scattered...so we knew we had a predator. We have been very cautious while letting the girls out to free range. Always staying right nearby. We did NOT think a bobcat would be so bold as to come up with us right there! He was!!

One neighbor has had 2 chickens taken as well and another has had house cats go missing.

I hate the thought of not having the hens out in the yard - they are so much fun to watch and love to run around hunting bugs and scratching!

Our back yard is very wooded and there is a creek at the back. We may have to try the electric fence discussed above. So distressing!!

Last edited:
Hi there w8ing4eggs,

Just an update on my Bobcat issue, I started this thread a while back when I had some hens taken. We ended up getting chain link fence but the bobcat took a couple polish hens right through the fence. I havent had anymore losses since I have been keeping a full size rooster. He warns the girls if any danger is near. Do you have a rooster on patrol? I know this sounds funny but if you can have any males pee around the perimeter of the yard that helps too.
marie

Back
Top Bottom