BOBCAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...I would never promote shooting or trapping of any animal.... we are all creatures of this Earth simply doing what we were programmed to do...
As you say we are all creatures of this Earth. So please explain to me in a logical fashion why we humans don't enjoy the same right to protect our food supply enjoyed by a bobcat or say an African lion that routinely kills other members of its own species to both establish a home range and protect the prides' food supply.

Good fencing is the key. I would never promote shooting or trapping of any animal. You may think you have the right to, but we are all creatures of this Earth simply doing what we were programmed to do (the bobcat getting a meal).

I also promote the idea of dogs on the property for predator defense. I honestly don't know of anyone in my area that has chickens without an electric fence and/or a dog on the property at all times. Dogs can easily be trained from puppies to not touch the chickens.

That is another reason why the bobcat has to go. Dogs. I have 3 Yorkies. One of my customers at work knew I loved Yorkies so she asked me to take 3 that were being abused by someone in her family and she had to get them out of there asap. Well even thou I already had 3 dogs I could not say no. I now have 6 Yorkies and I am very certain that bobby would love to have them also. I really feel we have a right to protect ourselves and our pets from wild animals. If we don't protect them who will? I have spent the last year building two coops and 2 runs for my chickens trying to provide a good life for them and keep them safe. I have gone to a lot of trouble and expense to try and keep bobby out but nothing has worked so far. So I am taking the next indicated step. I will put up barbed wire on top of my fence and I have a guy coming over on Friday to run a hot wire on the fence. He said it wont kill the cat but he will never forget it and move on.
I plan on doing what ever it takes to protect my pets.
I hope that doesn't offend anyone....
Marie

As you say we are all creatures of this Earth. So please explain to me in a logical fashion why we humans don't enjoy the same right to protect our food supply enjoyed by a bobcat or say an African lion that routinely kills other members of its own species to both establish a home range and protect the prides' food supply.

We do enjoy the same right. Our evolution has given us the ability to build electric fencing and live traps instead of having to kill.

You should get one of these.

Paris, my Great Pyrenees was given to me because she killed chickens. Her former owners turned her loose on 3 acres with free range chickens. As a big puppy, she had no supervision as they were gone all day, but she had lots of squeaky toys! They must have punished her terribly because she hated chickens when she got here. It took time and patience, but look at her now. She guards the hens and keeps out all possible intruders-raccoons, other dogs, motorcycles (she HATES them LOL) the neighbors (how DARE they walk about in their yard?) squirrels, buzzards, feral cats, anything and everything.

I've had plenty of bobcat issues over the years and a couple of hot wires strung about 8" and 40" outside of the fence have done the trick. If your fence is welded wire or other metal construction, connect the negative lead from your grounding rod to the fence, this eliminates the need for moist soil to complete the circuit. I'm in a very dry area and this has worked very well.

Eliminating or removing the cat only buys you a few months until the next one moves into the unoccupied territory, and once they have keyed in on your flock, they will return every day or two for another chicken dinner.

I've had plenty of bobcat issues over the years and a couple of hot wires strung about 8" and 40" outside of the fence have done the trick. If your fence is welded wire or other metal construction, connect the negative lead from your grounding rod to the fence, this eliminates the need for moist soil to complete the circuit. I'm in a very dry area and this has worked very well.

Eliminating or removing the cat only buys you a few months until the next one moves into the unoccupied territory, and once they have keyed in on your flock, they will return every day or two for another chicken dinner.

Thanks Greg,
We actually just did that. A guy from the chain link fence company came out and helped us. I hope it works! We don't want to lose any more chickens....
Thanks for taking the time to help me...
Marie

Hi. I'm curious how your electrified fence has worked out.

I've lost two Ameraucanas in the past couple months to a bobcat. I saw it the first time so suspect its the same culprit. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a live trap. But I think an electric fence or something of that nature is a better long term solution.

Hi. I'm curious how your electrified fence has worked out.

I've lost two Ameraucanas in the past couple months to a bobcat. I saw it the first time so suspect its the same culprit. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a live trap. But I think an electric fence or something of that nature is a better long term solution.
Hello there,
I stopped letting my chickens out because we have a hawk that killed a couple babies. I dont know if the hawk will get a full size but I am not willing to take any more losses. The fence is a good idea but it wont stop hawk attacks. We added on another run to the coop. Here is a picture...Marie

Personally I would trap the cat and electrify the chicken run against future marauders. The cats in this area are quite stealthy and generally avoid humans so it is rare to have a problem with them around my chickens. Also for anyone considering electric fencing, many areas it is illegal to electrify barbed wire fence as a person or animal could get snagged on the barb and not be able to escape the shock, smooth wire is recommended, the shock does the job there is no need for a barb.

Personally I would trap the cat and electrify the chicken run against future marauders. The cats in this area are quite stealthy and generally avoid humans so it is rare to have a problem with them around my chickens. Also for anyone considering electric fencing, many areas it is illegal to electrify barbed wire fence as a person or animal could get snagged on the barb and not be able to escape the shock, smooth wire is recommended, the shock does the job there is no need for a barb.
I agree with you....
Marie

Back
Top Bottom