Bobcats

geepy

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
central FL
I don't know if it is just Fl. but the bobcats have been real active this year. I have lost half of my free ranging flock to them. Now I have to lock them up as soon as the sun sets or else they go missing. They are beautiful animals but I'm really tired of them getting my flock. Sorry about the rant.

Sorry about your losses.
hugs.gif

We have bobcats here too, but I've only ever seen one up close around the farm. I have seen several bobcat hybrids and even had one sticking around for awhile. He just up and disappeared one day. He used to howl at the fence for me to put food out.

If they ate food instead of my chickens I would feed them. I really hate to kill them but I'm not sure what else I can do.
idunno.gif

I don't free range anymore unless I am standing over them, and even then only for an hour or so. I figure it's my job to protect them - since my "guard" dogs would eat them too! So sorry for the troubles.

My guard dogs sleep in the house (on coushiey beds) at night. They are no help.
lau.gif

I'm just going to make sure the chickens are locked up at night and hope the bobcats find somewhere else to hunt.

I lost my big male duck ' Double Trouble' to a bobcat, he came over my 6 foot fence to porch by the kitchen and snatched him, not a sound, feather..nothing. Caught him in my yard by the garage, with the chickens and ducks (no sense!!!) staring and making odd sounds at him...first thought it may have been a snake but came around the side of the garage to be face to face with him/her (thank god no losses). It jumped my fence like in was nothing, never even touched it.
At first I called DNR and got permit to (the big K word) it, but cats are more keen on avoidance and stealth that we are. Also set traps, but no luck there. After that I hung solar lights along the fence facing the woods and threw all my dog hair (two cocker spaniels) over the back fence (they get groomed every 3 weeks at least). I have also noticed no rabbits or deer in that area either. If you don't have dogs ask any grooming or even (people) hair cutters if you can have the hair from the trash. You would be surprised what critters avoid! But locking them in at dusk is the best. Since that day all my animals are secure by dusk.

Quote:
In addition to that, dogs - male ones in particular - come in handy. I take the boys out to pee around the chickens area several times a week; more often when it rains.

Back
Top Bottom