Bobwhite/Coturnix Hybrid Quail

Robo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Knoxville,TN
I have seen a newer kind of quail called bob bird. It is a coturnix bobwhite hybrid. Does anybody know if you can mate the two breeds? I have been wanting one of the hybrids.

Quote:
It seems like strombergs advertise those don't they ?

If you google hybrids, new world quail , old world quail there is some pretty neat reading, hybrids are general sterile are't they ?

Last edited:
Strombergs claims they will reproduce. The only pictures I've seen look like coturnix. I was told through emailing the company they would email me pictures but that's been over a year now... not holding my breathe. I can't see it. Coturnix and buttons are closer genetically and to my knowledge their are none of those crossed. Bobs are so far genetically from Coturnix.... between the flat out genetics to eggs size, the fact coturnix mature in 6 weeks vs. 24 weeks? Hatching time of 18days vs. 23? I can't see how you could cross them and genetically they could mengal. I have read reasearch studies about trying to cross the two and out of thousands of eggs they never developed a single coturnix/bob. I'd love to see the genetic tests for strombergs birds.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Bob Bird Is Not New, It Has Been An Abomination For 30+ Yrs. One Of The Reasons The Eggs Are Expensive Is It Is Created By A Coturnix Roo Over A Bob Hen--- Bob Hens Are Seasonal Layers And The Rates Of Eggs Per Yr Are Much Lower Than Coturnix Laying Rates, Thus In Our Supply And Demand Capitolistic Society---- Less Equals More (in Price Anyways
smile.png
)

The Sterility Issue Is Not Confirmed Either Way.... There Are Many Studys That Are Either Non Conclusive, Or Show Both Fertility And Sterility.

If You Are Deadset On These Contact Vega Farms On Here

if you are a dab hand at AI you can do it more reliably than trying to get the two species together, I have had a researcher buy a lot of my coturnix eggs to investigate if there is a gene that makes it more likely to have a successful outcome. Given that using AI you can hybridize a chicken with a coturnix, I imagine all quail species can probably be hybridized by someone willing to take the trouble

i live in california and i personaly have alot of hybrids includeing the coturnix bobwhite hybrid they are pretty birds i have about 30 of them rite now i used the coturnix hen and bobwhite cock for mine and it worked just fine there call is very cool they say "bobby turnix" so i have called them bobbying coturnix for years i also have other hybrids as in valley mix with bobs gambel with bobs mexican specaled bobs with california and gambels and mountain with northern bobs i got a white bob with a gambels there absolutely beautiful its a mix of blue and white feathers it takes time i got these over the coarse of 10 years so its not impossible it just takes time same with my pheasant hybrids

Back
Top Bottom