Bobwhite Hens??

MrMe3257

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 16, 2014
I've only had hens for a few days so Im very new and one hen is going bald on the top of her head, no sign of injury,pecking so my theory is shes molting. Is there a molting pattern for bobwhites? I got them from a quail farm and they look very young,cant fly so id say she was kept inside since hatching.

Also anyone else notice or have hens who fluff up and attack fingers when near?
She only does when the button quail are in the rectangle box with her

I would like to know what to feed them other than pellets, I'm sprouting finch seeds after they gobbled some up and I'm thinking of building a quail tractor which will be supervised.

I've only had hens for a few days so Im very new and one hen is going bald on the top of her head, no sign of injury,pecking so my theory is shes molting. Is there a molting pattern for bobwhites? I got them from a quail farm and they look very young,cant fly so id say she was kept inside since hatching.

Also anyone else notice or have hens who fluff up and attack fingers when near?
She only does when the button quail are in the rectangle box with her

I would like to know what to feed them other than pellets, I'm sprouting finch seeds after they gobbled some up and I'm thinking of building a quail tractor which will be supervised.
How are you keeping these birds? Both bobwhites and button quail breed naturally in pairs and when you change that problems tend to ensue. Keeping a large aggressive species native to the US with a tiny aggressive species native to China is not a good idea. Quail are extremely territorial and will quickly kill a quail they feel is invading their territory. Bobwhites especially are prone to picking and cannibalism.

It seems you've added a young group of bobs to an older group as well. That's not going to work out well for you most likely. You need ensure quail are fully grown before adding them to other quail. Quail are very territorial you can't just plop more quail in the cage and things be ok. Especially since you raise two of the most aggressive domestic quail breeds there are.

Regarding the bald hen she is not molting, how many roosters are with her? She is losing head feathers because the roosters pull them when they mount her, normally doesnt happen because they don't normally get mounted so often. She is being over bred either because there are too many roosters, or the rooster that prefers her is stressed out by the other hens. Bobwhites only breed in pairs or trios. You can colony breed them if you have a MASSIVE enclosure, but I'm talking hundreds of square feet not a hobby style cage or a 10x10 aviary.

The hen fluffing up and attacking your finger is her attempting to defend her space. Neither of the species you chose will ever be anything close to a pet. They will never want to or even allow you to hold them unless you catch them first. Especially button quail, you'll never be more than the food monster to them. Bobs still retain a lot of wild instinct and can calm down as time goes on but mostly don't, and they will always pace nervously around you.

Quail require gamebird feed with at least 24% protein. They cannot live a healthy life on seeds or chicken feed, it would be like a human living on only ramen noodles. If they are being fed anything besides crumbled food you also need to give them digestive grit. Crumble is water soluble so they don't need grit when fed only crumble. They should also be fed oyster shell freely.

They are caged at the bottom of a 9 foot long 4 foot wide and six foot high aviary. Theres only one male in the aviary which is a button quail. The quail have a medium sized guinea pig house and the bobwhites have two one foot by one and a half foot boxes filled with straw but they all choose to sleep together.

About the food they eat seeds on the ground floor and also sprouted seeds. Ill increase the percentage of protein tomorrow or saturday definatly before the weeks over.

If you have no roosters then the other hens are picking her head bald. Try keeping her in a cage inside the coop for a couple weeks till she heals, if possible. That way the other birds get used to her being around but can't hurt her.

I have tried that but when its time to roost one makes a call and when she cant go near the other hen her call gets louder and she doesn't stop.

Omelette loves to be held and petted. But she was an only hatch. Hope your quail feels better soon.

Thats so cool. Thanks and shes growing her feathers back so Id say it was stressed from being moved to new surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom