Bobwhite male aggressive towards his female

Fanch

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2019
Hello,

I have three pairs of bobwhites,
i separated them at first sign of aggression, so now, each couple have their own apartment.
I tried to put the male/female couple that looked close together, as not to break any relationship already established.
now they are still in sight of each other, but in different cages.

it was all fine for a few weeks, eggs are getting more regular, when one of the male decided to aggress his female friend.
I had to separate them, the female had an injury at the back of the neck and was totally subdued.
The female is recovering fast.

But what is my next step.
put them back together?
put the female with another couple (biggest cage is 3 feet by 5 feet)?
just keep it the way it is?

Any help appreciated
PS: I never though I was going to become a marriage councilor when I started quails!

OK,
in terms of size I was going by the " two square feet for each bird" rule for breeder, so I thought 15 square feet will be ample enough for two birds.

http://extension.msstate.edu/content/space-needs-bobwhite-quail

I understand that the measurement provided are more likely for mass breeding program , and are probably not adequate for a backyard operation, but the cages I have are over three times this recommendation.
@007Sean what would you recommend for Bobwhite breeder cage size?

and if I read in between the line, I should build a bigger cage and then put that couple back together, is that what you would do?

Thank you.

I have better results raising Bob's in an aviary type enclosure on the ground, not on wire.
I had 2 pair in an 180sq.ft (6' x 30' x 7') enclosure with brush, grass, low shrubs, and lots of native weeds (Croton) or some people call it, 'dove weed'.
Other pens I have are 360sq.ft and I have 25 to 30 birds in those size enclosures....their more like a 'holding pen' or a 'grow out' pen, they are not well landscaped, alot of bare ground in those pens. :lol:

I have found that I have more aggression with birds raised in cage type enclosures.
You can 'get by' with the 2sq.ft./bird but bigger is alot better....if you have the space and funds to provide a large enclosure, I highly recommend doing so!

You can try having a bigger cage for them but the cock bird may still be aggressive! ...it's really a 'toss up' at this point! You may have to hatch/raise or find another breeder to obtain some more birds to get a less aggressive male.

The 2 pair I had in the pen where originally from a total of 8 pairs....some of those males 'off'd' the other males and hens too! There was a trio left from one bunch and a pair from another bunch I had hatched and raised, all of them together from the day of hatching. So there is 'no guarantee' that they will all get along just because they were all together from the beginning.
I just got lucky that the final 2 pair got along well together.

that's some setting, I don't think I will ever be able to make a pen that big. I'll keep them separated for the time being, and try to increase the size of one of the cage.
we'll see if hey are made for each other.

Thanks

that's some setting, I don't think I will ever be able to make a pen that big. I'll keep them separated for the time being, and try to increase the size of one of the cage.
we'll see if hey are made for each other.

Thanks
Have you considered selling the bobwhites and getting Coturnix? I think your pens are better setups for small Coturnix breeding groups, like a male and 3 or 4 females would probably be ok in 6 sq ft.

Have you considered selling the bobwhites and getting Coturnix? I think your pens are better setups for small Coturnix breeding groups, like a male and 3 or 4 females would probably be ok in 6 sq ft.
Hi,
this is my second generation bobwhite, I had no problem last year. this year it seems one male is acting up.
I used to have Coturnix as well and they were great for eggs, but all in all I do prefer Bobs.

Back
Top Bottom